PVC Vtail quad frame.

Kogashuko

So, after problems with the tri survo I decided to convert it to a vtail. I was kind of on the fence about how to turn the rear tri boom into vtail. I got some aluminum but I am not conviced it will be easy to bend it. I saw someone else use PVC on some quads and I kind of barrowed several of the desines. I also have a sled built in so I can go with a gyro later.

The thing is built out of 1/2 inch PVC which seems to be pretty rigid when in short lengths. The actual upper part is the exact dimentions of my tri frame but with the sled the thing looks huge.

v tail frame.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'd use the elbows that have one threaded opening, and then use a threaded plug that you would mount the motor to. It could make motor swaps easier too.

GenovaProducts-PVC-Sch.-40-90-Threaded-Elbow.jpg

0000000065266.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
You're also going to find the PVC to be rather heavy. I'd use something else as the landing gear. Maybe using a downward pointing "T" at the ends of the three arms, with a capped section to act as a landing leg.

Kogashuko

Planning on drilling small holes and zipping the motors. That way when I crash the zips break instead of the motor shaft or blades. When trying to get he tri right we had one bad crash which poped two of the zips on one but the motor and blades are fine.

The whole thing seems light for pvc. I used some of the thinner 1/2inch instead of the 3/4 inch others were using.

This is one design off of youtube I liked.

Last edited:

Kogashuko

v quad build.jpg

Its coming along. A little heavier than the wood frame but sturdier too. It also has more realestate for the wires and such. I just need to figure out how I am going to store this thing for travel now. I will probably end up having to build another...

Kogashuko

Should get this finished tonight. Am going to make it a vtail quad so I have one more motor to put on. Should not need a yaw mechanism.

SubZero-AK

Frozen Idiot
You could always drill small holes through the "shoulders" of the braces for the lift motors and use a small cotter pin to secure them back in place. This would also keep the arms from rotating out of alignment. Then if your wires are long enough, pull the pins and pull the arms out of the joint and fold them back for transport.

PHP:
     Pin       Pin
        \       / 
   +------|||||------+
           |||           
           | |
           | |
           + +
I might look even cleaner if you could run your wiring inside the PVC. Just drill holes where is needs to come in and out. Any slack you need could be hidden inside the tubing.

By the way...1st post here on Flite Test...

Good Luck on the build!

Mark

Last edited:
Yea. I see your building a Vtail. I was thinking outloud, so to speak, for my own pvc build

Oh and welcome to the flitetest forum. Subzero.

Kogashuko

Just finished prepairing the other DT700 motor. I have been using a gas powed soldering iron and it is absolutly awesome. I did all of the connections in about 10 minutes. That was 3 bullet connectors on the motor and five on the esc. The thing gets hot quick and does nice strong joints. In the past one of my hates about RC stuff was soldering. I could never get good connections with the radio shack crappy irons.

I have both 3c 2200 mah and 4c 5000 mah lipos. I see these motors are rated only for 11.1 but seen on the flitetest tri build that the dt750 motors were used with 4c without an issue. Anyone else try 4c with the dt series? I know the 850 are the only ones rated for it. I wish I had caught that before doing my initial order.

As for the pivot, I used the original tricopter design and could never get the stability right. This is why I decided to rebuild this into a vtail. If I do anything with the original frame I have I am also going to do a V.

Kogashuko

Took it out tonight and attempted first flight. The thing is flipping forward when trying to rise. This last time it flipped over and broke both the props. Might be a bit too heavy. Hmmm

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Check your balance! I forget to do that myself and end up almost killing my babies...

Kogashuko

Yeh balance was way off, will give it one more try like that and then go back to the lighter wood frame for now. I think PVC might be very hard to balance right with a v tail configuration. I bet I could build a bitching quad like the guy in the youtube video I found. Would be very easy to balance with all the weight in the center.

Bright side I only need two more motors and escs and I can do a Y6.

Kogashuko

On a side note, the LED lights I put on are f-in cool. I also tested some aluminum to bend and make 45deg dt700 mounts. Worked better than I thought. A 2 or 3 foot section at lowes was $2 and bends nicely to a 45. I will work on getting it in the air and then perfect the slay or just put on a brushless gimbal.