Q-Tee finally finished!

Turbojoe

Elite member
This was yet another project that got put aside several years ago to work on who knows how many other projects. It's a short kit of the Lee Renaud version I got from a local kitter. I built the fuse and then got distracted. After Willy Nillies came up with his 250 size it made me think of finishing this one. After breaking the first wing before I ever put it on the plane I heavily modified a Clark Y rib I found on Thingiverse and 3D printed some templates to cut out new ribs and threw another wing together. I'll probably build another wing later with ailerons. The "Golden Bee" .049 is a file I downloaded from Thingiverse. LINK It's not as cool as the ones from Willy Nillies but it looks OK with a 22 mm motor on it. It's hard to tell it's fake from six feet away. I used Solarfilm on the fuse and Ultracote on the wing and tail feathers. I went with transparent to hopefully make it look a little like an old timer.

Like most of you that live in northern climate and build during the winter summer is just too bloody hot here in the Phoenix area to go outside. It's 111.9 outside in Mesa right now. It was 88 at 6:00 this morning. We should be under 110 sometime later next week. I may get brave and try to get a maiden in and hope not burst into flames.

Joe
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
FEAR!.JPG
HOT!.JPG

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Super pretty! I've been waiting close to a month for my Willy Nillies kit. Darned China shipping, if only I hadn't ordered a motor and controller I probably would have it by now. But you can't fly without those and pretty much everywhere else is now out of stock on motors that will fit them anyway.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Thanks guys. Between the lock down and now the brutal heat there's not much to do but stay inside and maybe finish up another of a slew of half finished projects. Aside from some finish sanding my Telemaster 40 has only been waiting for covering for close to 10 years now. I ordered a roll of transparent red and blue Ultracote from Horizon Hobby yesterday. I've got some other transparent colors as well. I never liked the stuff before. Now that I've done the Q-Tee I kinda like it now. Maybe the Telemaster will be next or........ I'd also like to finish my 150% scaled up scratch built Gemini Twin from Al Eastman plans. Hmmmm. :unsure:

Joe

TooJung2Die

Master member
Beautiful Joe! You're right about using transparent on the wings, it looks proper. The dummy glow engine is the perfect touch. I don't miss the Mojave desert summer heat. It's deadly, no joke. I laugh when the Pennsylvania natives complain about the heat when it hits 90F. That's a nice cool summer night in the desert. Now I get to complain about the winter. :) Take her out in the early morning before the heat and the wind pick up.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Thanks guys. Between the lock down and now the brutal heat there's not much to do but stay inside and maybe finish up another of a slew of half finished projects. Aside from some finish sanding my Telemaster 40 has only been waiting for covering for close to 10 years now. I ordered a roll of transparent red and blue Ultracote from Horizon Hobby yesterday. I've got some other transparent colors as well. I never liked the stuff before. Now that I've done the Q-Tee I kinda like it now. Maybe the Telemaster will be next or........ I'd also like to finish my 150% scaled up scratch built Gemini Twin from Al Eastman plans. Hmmmm. :unsure:

Joe

Yeah, get that Telemaster finished up! I think the .40 size is the same as the Electro version I recently built with a gas engine, and the plane is an absolute sweetheart to fly. The Telemaster design is one of the best high-wing designs I've ever flown.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I don't miss the Mojave desert summer heat. It's deadly, no joke.

LOL. It's 10:00 pm and still 99.7 outside. The summers here are brutal but the rest of the year is so nice I wouldn't live anywhere else and I'm from San Diego! I moved here in 2002 and even if I won the lottery I'd stay here. I know, crazy huh. o_O

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Yeah, get that Telemaster finished up! I think the .40 size is the same as the Electro version I recently built with a gas engine, and the plane is an absolute sweetheart to fly. The Telemaster design is one of the best high-wing designs I've ever flown.

I built my first Telemaster 40 around 1980. I remember the hardest thing about flying that plane was getting the bloody thing to land. It floated and floated and floated. I went with flaps on this one and they'll be able to drop 90 degrees to use as air brakes if needed.

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The transparent covering on the wings really does look nice! Good luck getting out to fry... er ... fly! :p

TooJung2Die

Master member
I moved here in 2002 and even if I won the lottery I'd stay here. I know, crazy huh.
No matter where you live there will be at least two months of the year you don't want to go outside. Except maybe San Diego. But it's so expensive to live there you're homeless and live outside anyway. :ROFLMAO:

OliverW

Legendary member
No matter where you live there will be at least two months of the year you don't want to go outside. Except maybe San Diego. But it's so expensive to live there you're homeless and live outside anyway. :ROFLMAO:
Its 6 months of not wanting to go outside in Oregon!