QAV 250 VS MXP230 VS Blackout H 250 VS Strider Mini 250

Robbie

Hey Guys,

I am thinking of buying a legitimate frame after my cheap carbon 280 EMAX frame, personally I like the the Strider because of the in built OSD but i also know that the QAV and Blackout fly really well, whats your opinion?

QAV 250
http://www.lumenier.com/products/multirotors/qav250

Blackout H
http://www.minihquad.com/frames/mini-h-quad/blackout-mini-h-quad

MXP230
http://xhover.com/products/mini-x-pro-230-fpv-quadcopter-pre-order

Strider Mini
http://www.redrotorrc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

P.S I am planning to run 6045 so will be using extenders on the 230 and H quad.

Ocean

I like the strider from what has been advertised because it has like you said a built in OSD and that sets it apart from the pack, it also folds which is a nice add on.

For me at least, QAV250, Blackout H and MXP are all so similar that its next to impossible to find one which is better. Personally I like the MXP because it has better provisions than the others to fit a GoPro along with beefy 6mm carbon arms.

Another one to consider would be the ImmersionRC Vortex, it hasn't been released yet but has a built in OSD as well as 32 bit flight controller, so it really does look nice.

Robbie

I like the strider from what has been advertised because it has like you said a built in OSD and that sets it apart from the pack, it also folds which is a nice add on.

For me at least, QAV250, Blackout H and MXP are all so similar that its next to impossible to find one which is better. Personally I like the MXP because it has better provisions than the others to fit a GoPro along with beefy 6mm carbon arms.

Another one to consider would be the ImmersionRC Vortex, it hasn't been released yet but has a built in OSD as well as 32 bit flight controller, so it really does look nice.

Yeh i like the concept of the immersionRC but considering the amount of highspeed crashes i have, i am anxious about the all in one aspect of the Vortex and how easy it would be to fix parts. the same goes for the QAV 250 i dont like have the arms and bottom plate are all one piece, considering i have broken 3 arms in 2 weeks on my EMAX.

the MXP is nice but it never seems to be instock and i dont like the arm extenders

btw have you flown any of these frames, do you know which one flys best because i really find that an important aspect

jipp

ImmersionRC Vortex, i can find zero info on this.. when i go to there webpage all i see is a video of a flashing red light.

chris.

jipp

Yeh i like the concept of the immersionRC but considering the amount of highspeed crashes i have, i am anxious about the all in one aspect of the Vortex and how easy it would be to fix parts. the same goes for the QAV 250 i dont like have the arms and bottom plate are all one piece, considering i have broken 3 arms in 2 weeks on my EMAX.

the MXP is nice but it never seems to be instock and i dont like the arm extenders

btw have you flown any of these frames, do you know which one flys best because i really find that an important aspect

have you tried upgrading your arms to thug 5mm arms.

if i break a arm on my china frame ill try that.

chris.

Ocean

Flying characteristics are almost identical with all of these frames, and the differences will be difficult to notice because they are all around 250 size.

I would watch RCModelReviews series if you want a bit more info.

Ocean

ImmersionRC Vortex, i can find zero info on this.. when i go to there webpage all i see is a video of a flashing red light.

chris.

There are a few flights from FGA and Boris B and also a quick look around the frames on the Tested youtube channel.

Robbie

have you tried upgrading your arms to thug 5mm arms.

if i break a arm on my china frame ill try that.

No those arms wouldn't fit my frame, I just 3D print new ones, i now have 3 plastic arms and one carbon, still flies though, but you can see the need for a new frame,

How is your build going by the way?

jipp

No those arms wouldn't fit my frame, I just 3D print new ones, i now have 3 plastic arms and one carbon, still flies though, but you can see the need for a new frame,

How is your build going by the way?

i need a battery to finish configuring the FC, and to know which way to solder the ESC to the Motors..
so probably 30 mins to get it in the air once i get a battery and a spectrum or DSMX compatible TX.
im using a lemon 6ch RX i bought a hand full of for stupid money. so yeah assuming i did not screw up the soldering on the PDB, 30 mins ill be in the air.

chris..

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Flying characteristics are almost identical with all of these frames, and the differences will be difficult to notice because they are all around 250 size.

Exactly. The flight controller, pack voltage (4S vs. 3S), motor choice, and prop size will make more difference in flight characteristics than the frame. The main place the frame will factor in to flight characteristics is its overall weight, but all of these frames come in more or less the same weight. So when choosing a frame, I think that logistics and usability is most important.

The QAV frame doesn't appeal to me because it can't take 6" props (without adapters anyway) and it has integrated arms, which means if I break an arm, I have to replace the whole bottom plate. Okay, granted, Charpu flies a QAV and as near as I can tell, he doesn't break arms very often, but still... I believe it also doesn't come with a PDB.

The Blackout frame is excellent, but I don't believe it can take 6" props either. Actually, I'm really confused because the specifications say "maximum 5" propeller" but then the Super Mini H Quad Power Train lists 6x4.5" props. I don't know. It does come with a PDB.

I don't know anything about the MXP.

For me, the Strider was the clear winner. Until the Strider, I honestly couldn't see any reason to pay $150 for a frame when you could get a ZMR for $40. Okay, the expensive frames might have better quality carbon plate, but is it $110 better?! Surely not. The Strider really won me over, though.

1. Integrated 200 mA power regulator for both 5v and 12v (allows running 4S if desired with no changeover of equipment).
  2. Replaceable arms.
  3. Foldable arms make for easier transport (not really a huge issue since these things are so small anyway) and less likelihood of damage in a crash.
  4. Integrated OSD.
  5. Integrated PDB for clean wiring.

mpbiv

The Blackout frame is excellent, but I don't believe it can take 6" props either. Actually, I'm really confused because the specifications say "maximum 5" propeller" but then the Super Mini H Quad Power Train lists 6x4.5" props. I don't know. It does come with a PDB.
Their are in total three different sets of arms available from Blackout for the Mini-H Quad. The standard set is for 5" props but there is also a extended set for running 6" props. Many of the vendors that carry Blackout frames offer the kit with either set of arms.

I ordered mine with the arms for 6" props.

The third set of arms are also known as the "Fearless" arms are for 6" props. They are roughly double the thickness of carbon as the standard arms, and intended for use on extreme builds with 2208 motors and 4S power.

jipp

the black out has 6" arms so you can fly 6" prop BUT you have to buy them it comes stock with arms that only take 5" props.. also you will want to upgrade the nylon bolts,nuts to a metal.. as recommend from the series pilots on here so that will add a little more to the already spendy black out.. 6" arms upgrade and metal mounting hardware and get rid of black outs nylon cash crop!. i just watched the video. im glad i made the right choice on my first multirotor.
get me up in the air and have fun while i learn.. one thing that bruce video sure made me think about.. just not many 250 size tri coptors. heh. there is a market there i bet.. now who will have the resources, skill, and time to make the tri 250 has popular as the black out 250 H.

chris.

Last edited:

joshuabardwell

Mentor
the black out has 6" arms so you can fly 6" prop BUT you have to buy them it comes stock with arms that only take 5" props.. also you will want to upgrade the nylon bolts,nuts to a metal..
chris.

Exactly. The H quad 6" arms are $11 each. So by the time you kit out a Blackout for 6", you're close to $200. I just think there are better frames out there for the price, even if you're committed to spending money on a high-end frame. Everybody is flying 6" nowadays, and there is not much down-side to putting 6" arms on a frame that's running 5" props. It seems silly that Blackout doesn't come standard with the 6" arms.

mpbiv

the black out has 6" arms so you can fly 6" prop BUT you have to buy them it comes stock with arms that only take 5" props.. also you will want to upgrade the nylon bolts,nuts to a metal.. as recommend from the series pilots on here so that will add a little more to the already spendy black out.. 6" arms upgrade and metal mounting hardware and get rid of black outs nylon cash crop!.
You are correct on the nylon hardware, but the kit can be ordered with either set of arms. If you order the kit from getfpv or readymaderc, which are both decent vendors, you can specify whether you want the 5" or 6" version. It is not extra, it is the same price either way $149.99.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=379_380

http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-frames/mini-multi-rotor-store/mini-multi-rotors.html

jipp

either way, blackout is cashing in, he is on vacation. heh.

its all good. to me that just says the hobby is growing yeah.

chris.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
The Strider looks interesting and has a lot of stuff going on the PDB. I was asked to be a team pilot for this frame a while back so am interested to see what I'm missing out on. My biggest dislike about it is the two bolt arms and how they fold. I'm not a fan of folding arms as it leads to more weight and looses durability. I've also never seen a durable two bolt arm that can take repeated "hard" hits.

I dislike the basic design layout of the MXP230 because it makes life hard to place a larger battery on the frame when you step up to a fast setup. Plus it just plain looks ugly!

The QAV250 also suffers from the same design issues. My biggest hate with the QAV is the fact that the bottom plate and arms are one piece so if you break an arm your stuffed and yes those QAV arms do break fairly often. They are working on stronger arms now but the whole problem is in the one piece design. By cutting it out of one piece of carbon and having the arms at an angle, you now have the fibres in the carbon plate going the wrong way and they are no longer doing their thing to give you full strength. The end result is a broken arm. Any one piece arm like the QAV or Minion suffer from this and those designs don't take the weave of the carbon in consideration. Also, those 6" arm adapters are kind of dodgy if you ask me.

I personally fly the Blackout because I believe in it's design. My original frame from this time last year is still kicking along perfectly. So far I have broken a top plate (which was the old 1mm design) but the new version is rock solid. My 4S 2208 setup did break a bottom plate and PDB once but I flew it directly into a tree trunk at about 110km/h trying to fit through a gap so I can't really complain :). I've since gone back to the 2204 setup anyway as they are much better to fly. The only downside o the Blackout is the price. I think it's about $30-$40 too expensive. Note: you can elect to buy 6" arms instead of the 5" when you order the frame so you don't have to buy an extra set of arms. That would be stupid!!!!

As for the Vortex, well I'm a team test pilot so anything I say will be biased :p

Last edited:

joshuabardwell

Mentor
They are working on stronger arms now but the whole problem is in the one piece design. By cutting it out of one piece of carbon and having the arms at an angle, you now have the fibres in the carbon plate going the wrong way and they are no longer doing their thing to give you full strength.

That's really fascinating.

Time will tell how durable the two-bolt design on the Strider is. I'm curious.