Solved Quad Copter Build: Jumper T16 Pro, Tyro 129 & FrSky XM+ (No Stick Input)

mrwilson

Hi Guys,

Im new to the quadcopter, been watching videos.. and got inspired..
biggrin.gif
so last week i bought myself a:

- Jumper T16 Pro
- Tyro 129
- 4S Lipo

//

Long story made short, out of the box, I'm having issues on getting any stick inputs on betaflight.

- i have bridge the two pads for SBUS, used a piece of wire to make sure.. (i have to work on my soldering.. its been a while :D)
- i have a green on my rx, which means it's bound.
- i can also spin the motors via bf, which means bf can talk to the fc, and the fc can talk to the esc going to the motors.
- im getting rssi feeds on bf (i am assuming that my tx can communicate to my rx and the rx can talk to the fc.,) is that correct?

- but im seeing I2C Error: 2 on betaflight.. what does that mean?

- part of my troubleshooting was to remove the camera, vtx and gps. i also soldered my rx, as i felt that im having loose connections on the plug.

my transmitter is on default setup, i havent setup all the channels yet.. but that shouldn't stop on having stick inputs on bf right?

Thank you very much in advance..

Have a great day everyone!

Attachments

• jumpert16pro_default_input.png
    jumpert16pro_default_input.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • jumpert16pro_default_mixer.png
    jumpert16pro_default_mixer.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • jumpert16pro_modelsetup.png
    jumpert16pro_modelsetup.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • sbustab.jpg
    sbustab.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
  • tyro129_lights.jpg
    tyro129_lights.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 0
  • xmdirectsolder.jpg
    xmdirectsolder.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 81616663_10216623654328809_214984691080495104_o.jpg
    81616663_10216623654328809_214984691080495104_o.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 82821932_10216623618647917_53304873470394368_o.jpg
    82821932_10216623618647917_53304873470394368_o.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 83155075_10216623962896523_5238509930905862144_o.jpg
    83155075_10216623962896523_5238509930905862144_o.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Looks to me like the FC is in failsafe mode. My guess is it thinks there is no receiver signal.

Try setting the uart 3 to serial and re selecting the sbus and all that.

mrwilson

Thanks for the reply PsyBorg..

Do i have to resolder, the sbus pad to a different pad?

or its just full on betaflight, re-select and select? because, if that is it.. i already did that, one thing i notice is that, RSSI goes off when i select a different port. thou i havent tried re-selecting the receiver settings sbus, etc.. which i would..

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Can you verify on the channel monitor on the Tx that you are actually sending anything? Your BF setup looks correct to me.

mrwilson

Hi ElectriSean, i will have to revert to you on that (the radio is at home). BUT.. i did calibrate, and sticks are working fine, and i can also see the arrows changing when i go to the endpoints setting.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Been pondering this a bit... I wonder if you have the jumper that works on old FrSky protocol but may have bought one of the new protocol receivers. It would bind fine but not be sending proper signals the receiver is looking for thus giving a fail safe condition but still showing RSSI.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The XM+ binds just fine with the multi protocol module in the Jumpers. All of my quads use XM+ apart from the Hollybro Kopus 2 RR.
Does the RSSI channel flutter a little as you move the transmitter around?
Try reducing the output power of the transmitter to 1mw or even less. The XM+ receivers are very sensitive and have issues if your pushing out a full 150mw and you very close to them.

FDS

Elite member
All the new Access receivers are D16 compatible, which is in the Jumper modules, it’s D8 they don’t support at all.
I think they are backwards ACCST firmware compatible as well, it’s just old receivers that can’t work with Access. F someone knows better I would be interested since I am not able to use Access on my old Taranis.

mrwilson

Guys! i got stick inputs! hahahhahah

i added "1" analog input (SF), inputs and mixer. and magically, i have stick inputs (chan 1 to 4 and SF). im glad that its working.. but.. i dont get the logic why it is now working.

will update everyone on my journey.. this is interesting stuff.

FDS

Elite member
Also make sure the inputs correspond to the correct movements, you want the channel order to match in both TX and Betaflight.

mrwilson

im really scared to try this out.. im guessing this behavior is not a norm. seems the only way to calm the motor is to disarm it.

FDS

Elite member
Also do your outdoor test in two stages-
  • First- Place the quad in a good open space, put your TX (switched on, with the quad selected, DISARMED) on the ground within arms reach. Plug the quad in, pack up TX, retreat to 30+ ft away, arm, check for any sudden responses, disarm, repeat a couple of times. This tests the arm, makes sure you won’t get a straight flyaway and helps the disarm muscle memory.
  • Second- Use angle mode, arm, then GENTLY leave ground effect and hover about 6ft off the ground. Check the hover is stable and there’s no twitches. Do not pitch or yaw this time, just use the throttle. Stay well back and be ready to disarm as in stage 1.
After that consider “walking the dog” where you lift to 6-8ft, hover, then slowly pitch forward and walk along behind the quad, about 30ft away, always staying behind it so you can keep orientation.

mrwilson

Also do your outdoor test in two stages-
  • First- Place the quad in a good open space, put your TX (switched on, with the quad selected, DISARMED) on the ground within arms reach. Plug the quad in, pack up TX, retreat to 30+ ft away, arm, check for any sudden responses, disarm, repeat a couple of times. This tests the arm, makes sure you won’t get a straight flyaway and helps the disarm muscle memory.
  • Second- Use angle mode, arm, then GENTLY leave ground effect and hover about 6ft off the ground. Check the hover is stable and there’s no twitches. Do not pitch or yaw this time, just use the throttle. Stay well back and be ready to disarm as in stage 1.
After that consider “walking the dog” where you lift to 6-8ft, hover, then slowly pitch forward and walk along behind the quad, about 30ft away, always staying behind it so you can keep orientation.

im now on the state.. that i need to practice. walking the dog.. thats the stuff i need to learn.. hovering.. so tempted to install inav.. but.. will not.. need to practice. :)

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
You need to fly safe first before you can let the computer do it. You can do GPS and RTH on Betaflight, there’s plenty of videos on it. As a safety measure RTH is quite handy, I know a few people who always put it on for emergency. Position hold and all the rest is not really that handy.
After you get better at hovering and going forwards then try fig 8’s, stand with the wind on your back and fly the quad downwind if yourself. Make your position the centre of the 8 with the turns at 90 deg to you. This will teach you turning, it’s also a good pattern to do in the goggles.
Set up the RC rates on a switch, start flying below 500 on those, with some S rate to flatten the centre of the sticks. It‘s much easier than trying to do everything at full rates.