Quad ESC repurpose to twin airplane?

duch2112

Hello,
Had some quad parts, and am trying to repurpose two motors and two ESCs for a twin airplane. I understand the power source to the ESCs can be a Y harness from a single battery. However, how should I hook up the servo signal wires? The ESC servo wires have the signal and ground, no power. Can I hook up the two ESC signal wires to a Y harness and then into a single signal slot on the receiver? (just like an aileron set up). Or does each ESC need its own channel - like i see for the differential thrust set ups?

I was having some trouble with this too - they are little bee 15A. Can I set up these ESCs without a flight controller? Just straight into the receiver?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Hello,
I was having some trouble with this too - they are little bee 15A. Can I set up these ESCs without a flight controller? Just straight into the receiver?

Yes, they can be used without a flight controller. As you mentioned though they don't have a BEC to provide 5V to power your receiver and servos, you will need to use an external BEC/regulator wired to the battery. You can use a Y harness for the signals the same as ailerons, but for differential thrust you will need separate channels. Either way you do it you should calibrate both ESC's together.