Quad Flips on takeoff

fragdrum

Hey guys I just built my first quad and am having some issues. When I give the quad enough throttle to take off, it just flips to the front or side. I have the FC mounted in the right direction and have tried the full throttle punch to do a quick take off and it still flips. I have tried with auto level both on and off. I have gone through and done the default calibration as well as calibrate my ESC's. All motors spin at the same time as well as the right direction and the props are installed on the right motors. I am stuck and cant figure out what is going on. I am trying to fly on carpet and cement. And the balance is good. Here are my specs.

Tranmitter/Receiver: Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware).
Motors: DYS 1804-2300KV BX Series Set of Two CW/CCW Motors
Props: Gemfan 5030 Multirotor Propellers One Pair CW CCW
ESC: Turnigy Multistar 10A V2 ESC With BLHeli and 2A LBEC 2-3S V
Battery: MultiStar Race Spec 3S 1400mAh 40-80C Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack For FPV Minis
Servo jumpers: Super Flex 26AWG Silicone Servo Leads for Minimal Vibration Transfer To The FC (JR) 80mm 5pcs/bag
FC: Hobbyking KK2.1.5 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board With 6050MPU And Atmel 644PA
Chasis: Laser230 FPV Quadcopter Composite Kit (230mm)
PDB: HobbyKing Mini Power Distribution Board
IMG_2314.JPG

joshuabardwell

Mentor
A very common cause of this is that your motors are not plugged in to the correct pins on the FC. When the FC spins up a motor to correct orientation, the wrong motor spins up and makes the situation worse. The FC spins it up even faster to correct, which makes it even worse. Repeat. Quad flips over.

Remove your props. Turn off auto-level. Hold the quad in one hand. Throttle up to mid-throttle. Tilt the quad in a direction. The motors in that direction should speed up and the motors in the opposite direction should slow down. Alternatively, push the right stick in a direction. The motors in that direction should slow down and the motors in the opposite direction should spin up.

Last edited:

PhenomPilot

Pretty much what Joshuabardwell said, check your motor order. M1 starts at the front left and goes clockwise I believe for the kk2.1.5. Also, it may not matter for those esc but I would recommend removing and taping/heat shrinking all but one red Bec wire from your esc so they don't try to balance each other. Can't tell from the picture if you have done that or not. You can try to re calibrate the gyros/accel and also check the receiver page and make sure your pitch isn't reversed.

RichB

One way you can check this is to hold the quad in your hand in a way that it can't get away from you or strike your hand with the props.

Give it a minimal amount of throttle, just slightly more than is required to get the motors moving.

Now start tipping it forward and back, left and right. The motors should speed up and slow down to fight you in a very predictable way.

For example, as you pitch it forward, the front two motors should speed up in an effort to raise the nose. As you tip it backward, the rear two motors should speed up. Similarly, as you roll to the right, the right two motors should speed up, and same fro rolling left and the left two motors speeding up.

If, for example, you roll to the right, and the left motors speed up, forcing it to roll right even harder, you have a problem. Or perhaps you pitch it back and instead of the rear two motors speeding up, the left motors speed up.

A well-tuned and properly setup quad should fight you if you try to mechanically force it into doing something that your remote controller is not asking it to do.