Quad in acro mode tries to correct itself

HobCoil

Hi, first time poster here, but I have used a lot of forum post to build my first quad, it is up and running. After flying it in acro mode for a couple days, I started to attempt different tricks, but found the quad would fight me. I brought the quad to the workbench and found that when my throttle is idle, if pitched or rolled, some motors would move, trying to re adjust the quad (as seen in the video below). I have also linked my Beta-Flight setup for the quad, I am relatively new to this hobby and any suggestions would help.

Beta Flight Set Up:

https://gyazo.com/a23455e0949c741d8fee708546eb7569

https://gyazo.com/fd96676ff773f03c865332e97fb74713

Video For Reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEpKpSjSuTY&feature=youtu.be a23455e0949c741d8fee708546eb7569.png fd96676ff773f03c865332e97fb74713.png

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I'm not able to see your video, it just shows as an exclamation mark.

The quad will try to maintain it's attitude against outside forces, so on the bench it will try to stay level if you move it around. If you feel you are fighting it in the air, chances are your I gain is too high, try cutting it in half and see if it helps.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The video link comes up with a huge black screen with an exclamation point in it. Has it been published yet? Or maybe set to private?

As far as the motors changing speed as you tilt the quad that is what is supposed to happen. You can not determine if it is in acro mode without flying it and inputting a command to make the changes.

Several things could be going on when in flight that may make it seem like it is auto correcting. too low P gains will allow it to be floaty and drift, too low or too high I gains can produce an effect when throttle changes happen or wind is effecting the quad.

We will be better able to help after the video issue is resolved so we can see what it is doing. Also it is better to put your screen shots right in the thread as many will not go to outside sources for obvious safety reasons. You can do that by clicking the add picture icon in the tool bar for where you post. The sizes have to be roughly 1100x800 or I think size limit is 250 mb. I usually screen shot mine at 1920 x 1080 and just resize them in paint to 53 % and they post fine. For 4k pics from my main camera I resize to 35 % just to give you an idea.

HobCoil

Sorry, the video was private for some reason it should work now, also the pictures should be embedded, hopefully clears things up, thanks for the quick replies :)

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That is normal behavior. It does seem that you have the do not spin motors at idle box checked as they should be spinning at idle at all times.

I suggest you go thru and do a start to finish set up for the radio and the FC and it should be OK unless other issues arise while going thru the set up process.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Stock pids and rates?

It seems possibly several things going on. Air mode is probably not active thus when you drop throttle the motors dont spin enough to bring the quad all the way around. Seems fine other then tuning issues and the air mode thing.

Last edited:

HobCoil

Yes, I am running stock PIDS and rates, I just added the airmode in Beta Flight, I'll have to test it out tomorrow, thank you for the help :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Just be careful when landing in air mode. Its not so bad as early setting but if you hit hard enough it will toss you back in the air in a randm direction depending on what part of the quad hits first. I set my switches up like this so I have Horizon mode for emergencies like lost video or when I was new for take off and landing. Then in the middle I had acro no air mode, and then the third position is acro with airmode for freestyle.

modes small.jpg