+ Quad - North & South Motors Shuts off below 50% throttle

Taqyon

I have a + copter and I have a problem with two motors cutting out on low throttle. When I start up and I give 50% throttle, all motors spins up and work correctly, flyable (on small props).

When I reduce throttle to less than 50%, motors north and south (1 and 4 I think) cuts out. I have to reduce throttle to zero, then up again past 50% before they spin again.

I thought it was the ESCs, but if I changes the plugs on the motor outputs on the board, the problem moves to the other motors. I've done the ESC throttle range etc. many times, with and without the board.

I've finished my quad a month ago, but I've been having this problem since and simply can't fly it.

I've got the HK 2.1 board, tried with default firmware and CptKuk 4.7, problem persists.

Is my board faulty?

Many thanks

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
mmmm I reckon your right on the faulty board.....Have you tried calibrating each ESC individually...although with it happening to two motors i would agree with you and say the board is faulty....Perhaps try a different firmware....hope you get it sorted...keep flying

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Is your quad trimmed in flight? You know, the quad slows down two opposite motors to yaw the copter. So in this case it would appear it is over-yawing. Any problems with the rudder?

Taqyon

mmmm I reckon your right on the faulty board.....Have you tried calibrating each ESC individually...although with it happening to two motors i would agree with you and say the board is faulty....Perhaps try a different firmware....hope you get it sorted...keep flying
Yes I have. Strange thing is while in Yaw 0 mode, the motors spin up fine.

Is your quad trimmed in flight? You know, the quad slows down two opposite motors to yaw the copter. So in this case it would appear it is over-yawing. Any problems with the rudder?
You had my hopes up there for a moment - I was in full right rudder trim. I trimmed it back to centre, but no improvement.

Ordered the KK2 board, looks like I'll have to bin this one.

davereap

The kk2 board is a lot easier to set up... I started by buying one of each.. the KK2 is up and running.. but the KK v 5.5 is still being sorted..
check out the yaw gyro direction.. mine was in reverse so to speak, and ive still got to program in the change ..
I am using spektrum gear and so far its needed TX servo reversing on aileron, elevator and rudder, it needed the TX throttle trim set fully down to arm, and now ive worked out that on the board the yaw gyro also needs to be reversed..
I also have esc calibration problems, with motors not spinning up all together, but ive just read that with spektrum the rec fires up too slowly so the esc's wont go into programming mode so the top and bottom wont set...the answer is to use a seperate 4.8v battery to get the REC going before connecting the main power to the escs.. then it lets you do the calibration...

dont be to quick to blame the board... likely like with my one, its the setup that is still incorrect..
I dont know if any of this is relevant but I hope it may be..