I've spent hours researching all over the internet, but can't seem to get a straight answer to this question:
What characteristics does a quadcopter need to have for easy handling in high wind (20 mph)?

Flight Style: Slow, Steady, Long-Duration Flights with FPV.

Compatibility Considerations: Needs to work with an Exceed RC Tx/Rx (http://bit.ly/UZCYLT) and 3S 2200 LiPo (http://bitly.com/1gs3c4f).

Need to Know:
  • Frame Size
  • Motor Size (Kv, Watts, Amps)
  • ESC (Size, Type)
  • Flight Controller (so that the quad can be flown by a noob)
  • Prop Size

Recommendations and links to components are very much appreciated.

What characteristics does a quadcopter need to have for easy handling in high wind (20 mph)?

The Quad needs to be sitting on the ground, battery disconnected.

From what I understand The consistency of wind conditions is more important than the actually speed of the wind, to a point of course. But the problem I've read about most (I don't really fly in windy conditions) is that a gust will come along and smash the quad into something (which is exactly what I have experienced the few times I have flown in wind).

The problem is compensation for this. With a barometer hold you can get a few yards of accuracy so if you're really up there then you could rely on that. Obviously if your practically on the ground this is not an effective solution. The other option being predicting the wind, so maybe always fly down wind of yourself (again the few times I have flown in the wind I tried this, it didn't work for me).

With only 3S 2200 you will want as large of props as possible and a lower Kv motor to get the most efficiency for a long flight time and the most power for dealing with the wind.

I'm not sure what contributed to the controller and battery requirements, I'll assume budget and availability but I think you might want to start looking larger than the 300 to 500 frame you already have? which would require an investment in batteries. But it seems like that is what you want to be flying so...

If it helps at all, again this is the money spending route, I have been looking at a very similar application. I want to get video from some weird volcanic stuff around where I live which includes all sort of odd topography that creates wind conditions that would be happy to slam a quad into a cliff. I have been looking at building an X8 out of an Iron Man 650 because I want the same things you are looking for here. This is WAY in my future because of the cost but I just wanted to mention it.

NHS77

Slap a NAZA with GPS on whatever craft and you're set. Not creative, nor pretty, nor cheap, but will assist you in the wind.
Getting steady video out of that of course is another thing all together.

Other than that I've found my light, high kv, 5" props, 4S powered 250 to handle better in the wind than the larger ships. Still a lot of piloting to do though.

Running 3S 2200 will limit you to smaller frames around 300-400mm running motors between 900 to 1400kv with 8-10" props and flight times well under 10 min. Personally I think either go big on 3S (3300 and above) to get some decent flight time or go small on 4S (under 1800) but have the punch. Anything beyond 450mm wheelbase in my opnion wants 4S to begin with. 3S 2200 is a working compromise on sub 400mm frames, holding the balance between weight and endurance, but end of day it's what it is: a compromise.

If your setup can handle it, upgrade to 4S = more power to go against the wind. Probably the cheapest way to to do whatever you're after.