Quad Setup, recommendations

thunderstorm99

Greetings community,

I'm planning on building a quad and would like to ask you all for recommendations or help me to find the right components for the quad.
I'll just go over the list of what i thought could match (help me out if something is wrong there)

(already bought) Frame
D2830-11 1000kv Brushless Motor or better hexTronik DT900 Brushless Outrunner 900kv?
Props: recommendations please i have no clue (i know it also depends on the motor (and battery?))
Battery: ZIPPY Flightmax 2450mAh 3S1P 30C
ESC: Hobby King 30A UBEC or this Red Brick 30A and what is UBEC anyway?
Flight Controller: KK2 Board
okay thats all what comes to my mind. Am I missing anything? Do I need to buy some extra wires?
So if there's anything that comes to your mind that I am missing, please let me know. Thanks for everything in advance!
Cheers!

Edit: also what kind of Transmitter / Receiver do you recommend for beginners? Turnigy 9X?

Last edited:

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
At least from me, all your choices seem good. I'm not familiar with the Redbrick ESC, the HK 30A ESCs I know are good and easy to flash. A tiny bit of overkill on the ESC size for the frame, but if you later load it down with a camera and FPV, they can't hurt.

I'm partial to the Hextronik DT series (turquoise blue), they have more bell diameter for bit more low rpm torque. I believe the 900's have the bullet connector already attached too. . .but so does the Turnigy. But the DTs really need to have the shaft cut and the base of the leads epoxied down. That is admittedly an added bit of aggravation. For either motor, I would suggest 2-blade 0947 to 1046 props. I suggest you steer away from 3-blade props.

And YES! you are going to need a crap load of extra stuff. Battery charger, battery power supply, connectors, wire, soldering stuff, nuts, glue, tape, nylon ties, male to male servo wire, etc. etc. etc. The list will seem to grow and grow.

thunderstorm99

Okay thanks at first, for your recommendations and hints. That got me closer to flying the quad! Battery charger and the power supply are on my list and no problem anymore. Still open is the question for a remote?
Anyone with recommendations here?
Greetings!

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Really depends on your budget. If you want to stay under $70, the Turnigy 9X or 9XR is a good choice.

If you have $400, you have a bunch of nice choices...

thunderstorm99

Definately as a beginner i'd like to stay under the 70$ range. As for the tunrigy 9X or 9XR im still a bit confused about the protocols they use. How does that affect me as a user, do i need to pick special receivers for either transmitter? and if so which protocol is "better" or more supported or more futureproven? the ones in the 9X or in the 9XR?
Thanks for helping me out, really helped a lot!
EDIT: or should i even go really budget with a hobbyking bundle like that

Last edited:

zev

lumpy member
stay the hell away from the redbrick ESC's. I have the 20amp one, and it is possibly the most monumental piece of crap I have ever seen. it gets really hot even at 10 amps, and is sloooooow.

get anything but.

thunderstorm99

Thanks for the Tip i'll go with the HK ESCs are these correct then? [URL="http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15205__Hobby_King_30A_ESC_3A_UBEC.html]ESC Link[/url]