Quadcopter at Kalmar Castle

UndCon

UndCon
I got some aerial time last Saturday morning when sun broke over the horizon.
Kalmar Castle is over 800 years old.

3pcs 5000Mah LIPOS later I had plenty of recordings with the GoPro HD camera on board as well as from 1 stationary on the ground.

To bad I had vibrations that ruins most of the videos - but I uploaded it anyway.

Here is the result

http://www.undcon.com/2011/10/21/quadcopter-at-kalmar-castle/

More combined FPV will arrive from the castle :)

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Thanks for the video! You are soooo awesome!

Awesomest part 1:17 flying through the tunnel! OMG so awesome!

And the early morning gives it a nice touch!

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Wow! I love this. It reminds me of how I felt about Trappy's early videos. Beautiful... but get the airframe out of the shot! :)
I know it's hard with a quad frame. I just love the shots so much I want to be immersed in them. Really great job! Thank you for posting.

UndCon

UndCon
I'm working on it - vibrations are already sorted - had to tighten the bolts holding arms in place as they was very loose.

I will bring back life into my old T-copter (tricopter with T-frame) to get rid of things obstructing the view.
This time the T-copter will carry a camera gimbal to stabilize video even further.

Tomorrow I will team up with my friend Kesmi and do more aerial photos at the castle
(Kesmi does lots of aerial photos with his Oktokopter2 from mikrokopter)

If weather is calm I will fly with the Skywalker to get some aerial approaches from water towards the castle and then I'll switch to my Quad and do more closeups.

sounds like video storyboard already :)
//UndCon

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Personally I like having a bit of the airframe in the shot though I do like it to look scale. I don't know what that would mean from a quad or tri. I guess I would suggest something like the Mosquito FPV Cockpit episode for an example. Of course that is just my druthers, it's your bird and your videos; I'll enjoy them either way.

And those are really good videos. Not too many shots like those around here to be taken.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I also agree with chad. Get the frame out there! But that is a reaaaally nice video! I absolutely love it. That is why I want to do fpv, but for a 16 years old student thats not easily affordable as I would only want to do fpv with a GoPro and a setup that works really good.

Did you go for FPV in this video or did you just walk behind it? And which GoPro did you use the 720p or the 1080p?

earthsciteach

Beautiful video! As far as the airframe in/out of shot goes, that pretty much comes down to your audience. I am guessing that Chad, being the producer/cinematographer type is focusing on the beauty of the subject matter and has a much greater sense of composing the shot, etc than most of us. I, being an RC nerd, enjoys seeing the airframe. The castle is an amazing subject. The morning light is stunning.

Off topic- the cannons that you flew past were pointing toward a forest. I'm also guessing that those trees were not there when the castle was built. Is the ocean beyond those trees?

Great video! Thanks for sharing!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
map.jpg

Google Maps, red lines are cannon lines.

The cannons are pointing towards the mainland. I suppose they prevent against siege machines, catapults, etc... But I suppose they could also be moved to the sea-side if needed.

UndCon

UndCon
The cannons were aimed at the Danish people who invaded southern parts of Sweden back then so yes they were aimed inland and south just like the red lines show. The trees are located in a cemetery but it is not as old as the castle.
There was a church a few hundred meters away from the castle(north east corner of image) and the Swedes were afraid the Danes would hide in it and shoot at the castle from there - so they blew it up 1647 - a pity as it was one of Europa's largest churches ever built by then.
(it was built around 1200) In the strait ~1.5km east (to the right of the castle) is even more defensive buildings but not much.

I have now added my gimbal to the frame so tomorrows flights will be a maiden with gimbal without props or frame.
I better come early and test before the others show up :D
(We are supposed to meet at ~9 but the sun comes up about 7.30 so I will aim for that)

until then...fly safe
//UndCon

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
You're the guy! You know your history!

I'm looking forward to tomorrows flight! I hope your copter collaborates!

John Campbell

I got some aerial time last Saturday morning when sun broke over the horizon.
Kalmar Castle is over 800 years old.

3pcs 5000Mah LIPOS later I had plenty of recordings with the GoPro HD camera on board as well as from 1 stationary on the ground.

To bad I had vibrations that ruins most of the videos - but I uploaded it anyway.

Here is the result

http://www.undcon.com/2011/10/21/quadcopter-at-kalmar-castle/

More combined FPV will arrive from the castle :)

All that I can say is WOW... NICE JOB, to anyone watching this video, change it to 720P. Awesome video, great job.

Question, you showed a 5000MAH battery, 2 questions:
1.) how long did it last?
2.) how many cells

UndCon

UndCon
Hi John!

I used the 3S 5000mah LIPO's I have available as the 2200's are pretty bad nowadays
I fly about 20 minutes with 5000mah

//UndCon