quadcopter help

merlinuk

hi there i am not new to quadcopters but new to building one i would like to make one it is going to be 650x650mm and about 100mm high and will be carrying about 4-5kg and was wondering what motors and props to use and what gimble would people recomend for a dslr camera and what are peoples thoughts about 2.4 ghz over 900 mhz radio gear and 2.4 ghz 5.1 ghz or 1.3ghz for video transmition

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hi merlinuk,
What type of flying are you going to be doing? In tight, long distance? What flight time are you looking for? Without additional info, I'd be using off the shelf 2.4ghz RX/TX for control, 900mhz for optional telemetry, and 5.8ghz for Video. With longer distances, I may be more inclined to use lower frequency radios. I don't have much experience with the motors/props for something that large or heavy, but I bet someone else will chime in on those.

Cheers!
LitterBug

merlinuk

hi LitterBug
i will be wanting to do arial photography and videography i will be going quiet i long distence 4-5 mile and this is quite a long shot but i would like 40-50 ish minutes of flight time thank you for the help so far

Darkback2

It is a different thing if you are carrying a go pro, than if you are carrying a DSLR. Do you mean 4-5k total all up weight or 4 -5k of payload? Also, what is your budget like?

Some students of mine built a heavy lift hex a few years ago. Went with really slow motors and huge props... It can pull like a horse, but I don't really know what it is that you are looking to build.

Hope we can help.

DB

Ocean

What your'e looking to build seems a little overkill for a little GoPro + gimbal. You could do that comfortably on a 400 sized quad.

merlinuk

hi darkback2

i am using a mirror-less witch is onaly 1kg and i am willing to spend £120 if needed will go to £200

Tom Haas

building quadcopters

hi there i am not new to quadcopters but new to building one i would like to make one it is going to be 650x650mm and about 100mm high and will be carrying about 4-5kg and was wondering what motors and props to use and what gimble would people recomend for a gopro style camera and what are peoples thoughts about 2.4 ghz over 900 mhz radio gear and 2.4 ghz 5.1 ghz or 1.3ghz for video transmition
Hi merlinuk... Over the past five years, radio controlled Mini Quadcopter have been becoming ever more popular. Unlike Helicopters, I can add DSLR's for aerial photos, or make it totally autonomous, with pre-planned flight missions...
I think that to build a mini quadrocopter own hands - difficult. I founde goode article aboute model 2016 here :applause:jonsguide...GOOD LUCK to building quadcopters...;)

Darkback2

Sorry didn't catch that. I haven't really used a thrust calculator or anything and we haven't tested the actual weight limit. We based our choices off of other quadcopters built around carrying DSLR cameras.

The kids who were working on it graduated before getting the gimbal to work and then we got a working gimbal on a DJI phantom so the project got tabled.

We are attaching a giant stuffed spider to the bottom of it for halloween. During a test flight last week it struggled because the spider swing around a lot changing the center of gravity. I removed the stuffing and changed the way the spider was suspended and it was able to lift the spider easily. I haven't had a chance to way the spider without the stuffing as of yet.

Sorry for the vagueness and overall lack of facts.

DB

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
thank you dark back 2 this is grate just wondering what is the wight limit

I googled the specs. One site listed this: Max thrust : 3.7kg with 1855 prop

With this prop/motor combo on a BIG quad, your max weight would be about 7kg.

megabotz

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
Oops, on a 6S battery, the max thrust is 3.01kg. That will put your max total weight at about 6kg.

You should be able to hover at 50% comfortably.

megabotz

Darkback2

Megabotz, is that for one motor prop combination or four?

I suppose I could look it up myself, but since you already did the work... :)

DB

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
The 3.01kg is per motor.

4 motors = 12kg total thrust

I'm assuming that there will be some epic spider scares, please get video. Just remember not to fly near anybody. That motor/prob combo will remove fingers or worse.

megabotz

Darkback2

I'm assuming that there will be some epic spider scares, please get video. Just remember not to fly near anybody. That motor/prob combo will remove fingers or worse.

megabotz

No scares. I'm not willing to fly that thing near anyone. A kid crashed it a few years ago and took out tree branches almost an inch thick. Nope...not anywhere near people. We also have a pretty strict safety protocol/training regimen before anyone is allowed to fly it.

We will film it flying around with the spider though. :) Hoping for good weather on Monday.

Best wishes

DB