Quadcopter motors not spinning

Nord1cDucky

I'm trying to configure a 250 series quadcopter in Betaflight but I'm having issues with the motors not spinning up. Betaflight reads the transmitter signals and displays it on the screen but the motors don't turn. The ESC's beep and all when i plug in the battery, and frankly I'm out of ideas. Im using a Naze32 flight controller and BlHeli Raptor ESCs

Last edited:

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Make sure you are using a compatible ESC protocol, like Dshot, on first page of BF.

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Maybe check the mounting screws aren't touching motor winding. Hope you figure it out.

Edit: Also try different setting for PWM SYNC if that is available

Last edited:

Nord1cDucky

The screw arent touching, but the motors are all spinning at different speeds. Ive checked and re soldered all the connections from the power distribution board to the ESCs and from the ESCs to the motors but they still dont have the same RPMs. I was tinkering with it and it almost feels like its trying to self level. if you tilt it the motors on the lower side spin faster like its trying to balance it

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Do a throttle calibration.

With props off boot your radio and put the throttle stick at max.

Plug in the flight battery and when you hear tones drop the throttle back to zero.

At that point the escs will reboot and be calibrated.

Reactions: FDS

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The screw arent touching, but the motors are all spinning at different speeds. Ive checked and re soldered all the connections from the power distribution board to the ESCs and from the ESCs to the motors but they still dont have the same RPMs. I was tinkering with it and it almost feels like its trying to self level. if you tilt it the motors on the lower side spin faster like its trying to balance it

As Bill said, calibrate the ESC's to get the motors evened out. Do this calibration from the motors tab in Betaflight though, not using your transmitter... I think @PsyBorg has been playing with fixed wings lately ;)

If you have it armed with no props on, the motors will start ramping up in all kinds of ways because yes, the FC is detecting motion and is trying to correct its attitude. If you haven't touched the sticks since arming it will try to maintain level, or whatever angle it was at when plugged in.

Nord1cDucky

As Bill said, calibrate the ESC's to get the motors evened out. Do this calibration from the motors tab in Betaflight though, not using your transmitter... I think @PsyBorg has been playing with fixed wings lately ;)

If you have it armed with no props on, the motors will start ramping up in all kinds of ways because yes, the FC is detecting motion and is trying to correct its attitude. If you haven't touched the sticks since arming it will try to maintain level, or whatever angle it was at when plugged in.
So I calibrated the ESCs and they all spin up at the start, but when I increase the throttle the motors continue to accelerate even when the throttle is still. And only 3 of them increase speed with the throttle

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
<<<< still has 3 of them.

Sorry hard trying to be funny in just text. I tried using gifs but my face skeers small children and pets so I stopped.

In the motors tab check the box you took off your props to unlock the saftey feature. ( really take off your props lest it jumps up n tries to eat yer face)

Slide the main power bar to full throttle. Then plug in a flight battery. At this point there should be all kinds of beeping from your escs. Pull the slider to zero and your escs should reboot and be calibrated.

Reactions: FDS

Nord1cDucky

<<<< still has 3 of them.

Sorry hard trying to be funny in just text. I tried using gifs but my face skeers small children and pets so I stopped.

In the motors tab check the box you took off your props to unlock the saftey feature. ( really take off your props lest it jumps up n tries to eat yer face)

Slide the main power bar to full throttle. Then plug in a flight battery. At this point there should be all kinds of beeping from your escs. Pull the slider to zero and your escs should reboot and be calibrated.
I got the humor. It was a nice meme. Ive calibrated but when I arm with the transmitter the motors all spin up, but when I give it throttle they all spin at different speeds (3 doesn't really move at all) and they continue to increase in speed even when the throttle is still

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
With props off thats normal behavior.

Pick it up off the table it will settle right in. Then it will start reacting to the movement of your hand like it is hovering.

Tilt one corner down at a time and that motor should speed up.

As for one motor not spinning that is also commin on the femto.

Raising min throttle to 1060 - 1070 pretty much cures that and it helps keep level flight when in ground effect by not allowing throttle to be so low you are fighting the turblence.

Nord1cDucky

With props off thats normal behavior.

Pick it up off the table it will settle right in. Then it will start reacting to the movement of your hand like it is hovering.

Tilt one corner down at a time and that motor should speed up.

As for one motor not spinning that is also commin on the femto.

Raising min throttle to 1060 - 1070 pretty much cures that and it helps keep level flight when in ground effect by not allowing throttle to be so low you are fighting the turblence.
I put props on it and gave it some throttle, and sure enough it leveled out. One of the motors stutters a bit while in flight, but its airborne now. Thanks for the help!