Quadcopter or Tricopter

jipp

yeah, i can see the evil eyes right now.. you are right tho, if i get blue smoke it will be when i go to tune the CC3D with ground control, OP GUI. you have to plug in the battery to calibrate the ESC as one of the steps.

that will be the spot, i think ill be ok.. but i just do not have the confidence yet to know.. till i get a few of these things built. and before i start another project im buying a better soldering iron. iv had such a fit with my POS.
chris.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
yeah, i can see the evil eyes right now.. you are right tho, if i get blue smoke it will be when i go to tune the CC3D with ground control, OP GUI. you have to plug in the battery to calibrate the ESC as one of the steps.

that will be the spot, i think ill be ok.. but i just do not have the confidence yet to know.. till i get a few of these things built. and before i start another project im buying a better soldering iron. iv had such a fit with my POS.
chris.

Don't sweat blue smoke. At some point you just put the safety glasses on, say "what the heck" and plug the thing in. It's kinda like skydiving. Once you're in the air over the drop zone with a green light you may as well jump.

Just have proper safety equipment. :)

The best part is that with copters, you get another chance if things don't go well.

I own a Weller station. I love it. I hear great things about the Hako too. Both are on Amazon.

jipp

thanks for the recommendation for a soldering iron ( i was looking at one of them digital soldering stations that have a hot air gun.. on ebay. figure they be good enough for this hobby. ). the one i have is just not good enough for this hobby. it works with playing around with old tube guitar amps, but they are point to point.. as that is really the only place i have any soldering experience is with playing with old tube guitar amps. hard to screw them old girls up.. they are built like tanks. even tho if you do not drain the caps they can kill you, been shocked once , learn my lesson real quick.. and lucky to be alive.. :p
chris.

notreallyme

The maiden is the funny part when the copter flips on its top as soon as you give it throttle and goes rocketing off the concrete patio into your wife's flower garden, it's happy little rotors gleefully chewing shrubbery and spewing happy little dead petals.

Your wife, standing behind you to witness the glorious moment of first flight you invited her to see, recoils in horror and shock at the carnage your "harmless toy" has wreaked upon her hard work and joy.

Now almost three years later I can say I truly know regret...

I should have caught it on VIDEO. :D

Learn from my mistake. Please film the maiden. :)

now that is a video i wish i could see, i mean im so sorry that happened to you and her garden

notreallyme

chris.

Hey jipp, I think im down the street from you. if you really think you have something wrong(or just want a second set of eyes) i would be glad to check it out to calm your nerves about the magical blue smoke coming out of your electronics.

jipp

Hey jipp, I think im down the street from you. if you really think you have something wrong(or just want a second set of eyes) i would be glad to check it out to calm your nerves about the magical blue smoke coming out of your electronics.

if i have problems and have to start over, ill take you up on the offer. thanks man. i appreciate it.

chris.

jipp

cool. Skype would be easier for me ( i would have to install it but no big deal. ). ill keep that in mind.. thanks guys.

chris.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Now I don't feel as bad as before anymore after I killed (only) three of neighbors tulips... At least I still left the blossoms intact, just the stem was a little short for a vase.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Tricopter vs Quad?

I would go with tricpopter. I like watching them fly more than quads. They seem more organic in flight.

I would go with the tricopter. Quads suffer the same fate if a motor fails to spin or a prop breaks.

The only step up would be to a Hex imo. Now you gain some crash safety because of the extra motors.

jipp

ram - but he is wanting a small tri.. the options are not good. do you know of other 250ish ( small racing tri ) size tri frames?

chris.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The Simplecopter isn't as elegant or polished as the Twitchity but it is small, cheap to repair and flies really well.

jipp

here is a armatta, but this one is not as big as a brick as i saw on there webpage.

i wonder if they stop making this one.
still not a lot of mini tri's.

the more of these mini tris videos i watch, the more i want one. i dig the swoosh in flight, looks cool. also looks like keeping your orientation would be easier with a Y.
chris.

Last edited: