quadcopter recommendations?

iFly4Fun

I have just checked out the GoolRC t36 on Amazon, the frame looks like an F36; solid with sloped motor support arms. If you want more flight time, switch to 2 bladed props and bigger battery (you will need to cut the front battery compartment wall). I run 300 mAh and get flight times between 5 and 7 minutes in the F36. Best time so far is a stock F36 with a 550 mAh BETAFPV battery, 9 minutes 35 seconds. NOTE: not all of these small quads have strong enough motors to handle the 550 battery.

I have an assortment of these small quads in various sizes and motors. The reality is that flight times are between 4-8 minutes depending on the particular arrangement and how you fly. A flight over 9 minutes is out there. That is pretty much the limit for these small, brushed motor quads.

OliverW

Legendary member
I have just checked out the GoolRC t36 on Amazon, the frame looks like an F36; solid with sloped motor support arms. If you want more flight time, switch to 2 bladed props and bigger battery (you will need to cut the front battery compartment wall). I run 300 mAh and get flight times between 5 and 7 minutes in the F36. Best time so far is a stock F36 with a 550 mAh BETAFPV battery, 9 minutes 35 seconds. NOTE: not all of these small quads have strong enough motors to handle the 550 battery.

I have an assortment of these small quads in various sizes and motors. The reality is that flight times are between 4-8 minutes depending on the particular arrangement and how you fly. A flight over 9 minutes is out there. That is pretty much the limit for these small, brushed motor quads.
The T36 is ballistic on power. I would buy some 550s for it if I had the money. With the stock battery it flies for about 3 minutes.

iFly4Fun

That's about right for the 150 mAh battery. You can go up to about 260 to 300 (in this same form factor) and get times up to about 4-5 minutes. Keep in mind as the batteries get bigger so does the weight...so...doubling the size does NOT double the flight time. The 260 and 300 are pretty good. If you move up to the 550 mAh, you will also need an adapter since the battery will completely cover the connector on the quad. Also, the behavior is a little different due to the added weight. Anything over 550 does not improve time nor performance.

Battery Adapter F36 (0001a.jpg

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
What
If you want a pocket rocket with a camera on it, the Makerfire Armor 65 Lite is sweet. It comes with a transmitter that is better than the cheaper 65mm quads and the FPV antenna is flexible so it wont break off. For about $ 50-60 (depends where you buy it), you get the quad with camera attached and a pretty decent transmitter. Also, it uses the Bayang protocol, so you can upgrade to a better transmitter (such as the Jumper T12) if you want. Personally, the standard transmitter works for me.

I will say, however, that it is more challenging to control due to the performance aspect...it is FAST. F36 to learn, Armor 65 Lite to burn.

Yes, I switched to 2 blade props for longer battery life (this works for every quad that I have tested. Average 30 -45 seconds longer).

View attachment 124685

What are your camera frequencies with that quad?

iFly4Fun

What

What are your camera frequencies with that quad?

Although I installed a Makerfire "slit" camera/receiver on a Furibee F36, I have since moved this camera to 75mm build. Most of my cameras came with Eachine E013 quads, one with the Armor 65 Lite, and I have purchased a couple more. Presently, the camera settings are as follows: 5.685, 5.695, 5.705, 5.800, and 5.860. At one point, I had the first 3 cameras on the same setting, but noticed that sometimes a crash will actually change the frequency on the camera. The cameras have a wide range that works well. Using different frequencies does require resetting the googles to match, but that is no problem.

iFly4Fun

Just a note about brushed motors; they DO wear out. Motor lifetime is measured in hours, so don't expect them to last forever especially if you do a lot of flying with only one quad. I have a dozen of these things and have burnt out only 3 motors (each on a different quad), but I switch between which ones I fly and generally only go through a few batteries on any given day. If the FCB on the quad does not have motor connectors, you will need to get used to soldering. When replacing soldered on motors, solder a connector to the board then you can plug-and-play the next ones. (most replacement motors have connectors). My preference in motors is the BETAFPV 6X15mm 19500KV Brushed Motor since these have good power and will handle extra load, although the 17500KV motors are a good replacement for stock performance.

FCB E013 E010 w connectors 0001aa.jpg

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Just a note about brushed motors; they DO wear out. Motor lifetime is measured in hours, so don't expect them to last forever especially if you do a lot of flying with only one quad. I have a dozen of these things and have burnt out only 3 motors (each on a different quad), but I switch between which ones I fly and generally only go through a few batteries on any given day. If the FCB on the quad does not have motor connectors, you will need to get used to soldering. When replacing soldered on motors, solder a connector to the board then you can plug-and-play the next ones. (most replacement motors have connectors). My preference in motors is the BETAFPV 6X15mm 19500KV Brushed Motor since these have good power and will handle extra load, although the 17500KV motors are a good replacement for stock performance.

View attachment 124739

This is why I prefer the Inductrix, TinyWhoop, and NewBeeDrone models. They're easily upgradeable/interchangeable with parts, for the most part.

iFly4Fun

This is why I prefer the Inductrix, TinyWhoop, and NewBeeDrone models. They're easily upgradeable/interchangeable with parts, for the most part.

Question? Do the quads you listed come with a transmitter? If not, what RC protocol do they use? I agree that it is better to buy something with connectors. The Makerfire Armor 65 Lite also has connectors, a Tiny Whoop Lite FCB, and comes with a transmitter. However, most of my quads are the Eachine E013 which also has connectors for everything even the FPV camera. I did not realize that the cheaper ones have soldered motor connectors until I bought a few, but I still like the Furibee (Helifor) F36 for a stable 20 dollar product that includes a transmitter. That said, I am moving in the direction of just building my own using the Tiny Whoop Lite FCB which has the connectors, runs NotFastEnough firmware, uses the Bayang protocol, and works with the Armor 65 Lite transmitter . The FCB costs about $ 13 and can be used in any frame (65mm, 75mm, 85mm) and with any of the motors (6, 7, 8, 8.5 mm diameter). If I buy more complete quads, I will check out the ones you listed. Thanks.

Also, I do not buy BNF that use FrSky, FlySky, Spectrum, Etc. since I do not have one of those costly transmitters (radio remote controllers). From everything that I can tell, they will NOT work with my E013, F36, or the newer E010 quads. I control my quads with the transmitter that they came with. The Armor 65 Lite transmitter will control all Bayang FCBs.

Still, if you are just starting out and want FPV on the cheap, the Eachine E013 with transmitter and goggles is quite a buy for less than $ 80 dollars (and it is upgradable).