Quadcopter Stuck In A Weird Mode! HELP!

NewQuadGuy

I'm using the Apm 2.6 fc with Emax 30a esc and SunnySky X4108s 380kv. I just finished the build last night and I thought I would calibrate it today and go flying..........During the calibration something went wrong. When I arm the quad I don't get my beeps until I throttle to 49%.........then if I throttle down from 49% to 0 the motor spins 1 way.......if I throttle to 100% from 49% the motors spin the opposite way. Do I need to recalibrate my esc or reset them? Or is it my radio? If so, how? I don't have any trouble with my other quad with the cc3d board using the same radio Walkera Devo 7.

I have edited the esc wire to x-quad model, so the ccw and cw are correct, but like I mentioned the motors are neutral at 49% and spine the opposite way depending on throttle up or down. I have used the calibrate all esc with the Apm 2.6 and I have tried 1 at a time manual way with just my receiver and the motors still act in the same manner..............

Help!!!!!!

joshuabardwell

Mentor
It sounds like your ESCs are in 3D mode. I have no idea how that would have happened, but the reversing direction depending on if above or below 50% is exactly how 3D mode works. Maybe when you intended to calibrate them, you accidentally put them in programming mode and enabled 3D mode.

3D mode is where the copter can thrust upside down by reversing the motors.

NewQuadGuy

It sounds like your ESCs are in 3D mode. I have no idea how that would have happened, but the reversing direction depending on if above or below 50% is exactly how 3D mode works. Maybe when you intended to calibrate them, you accidentally put them in programming mode and enabled 3D mode.

3D mode is where the copter can thrust upside down by reversing the motors.

Thanks Josh! Do I need to purchase the Emax Program card to reset the ECSs?....or is there another way I can do this?

joshuabardwell

Mentor
You don't need the programming card. You can program the ESC with the transmitter, which is probably what you did by accident when trying to calibrate. I found a screen shot of the BLHeli configurator, and "motor direction" setting is either normal, reverse, or bidirectional. Are your ESC's running BLHeli? I couldn't find a SimonK manual that referred to 3D (bidirectional) operation.

Last edited:

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Here is the manual which describes programming the ESCs via the stick commands.

http://www.unmannedtech.co.uk/uploads/6/7/0/2/6702064/blhelimanualsilabsrev11.x.pdf

You want programming parameter 12 (rotation direction) and you want to set it to option 1 (normal). If you set APM to "ESC calibration pass-through," you should be able to program all four ESCs at once.

EDIT: BTW, if you enter programming mode and then simply leave the throttle at the max value, until ALL the options play through, the ESCs will reset themselves to defaults. This may be simpler than trying to listen for the right value. You will need to re-do the calibration of endpoints.

EDIT 2: This all assumes you have BLHeli, not SimonK. If you have SimonK, the basic process is similar, but the beep sequences and options will be different.

Last edited:

NewQuadGuy

Here is the manual which describes programming the ESCs via the stick commands.

http://www.unmannedtech.co.uk/uploads/6/7/0/2/6702064/blhelimanualsilabsrev11.x.pdf

You want programming parameter 12 (rotation direction) and you want to set it to option 1 (normal). If you set APM to "ESC calibration pass-through," you should be able to program all four ESCs at once.

EDIT: BTW, if you enter programming mode and then simply leave the throttle at the max value, until ALL the options play through, the ESCs will reset themselves to defaults. This may be simpler than trying to listen for the right value. You will need to re-do the calibration of endpoints.

EDIT 2: This all assumes you have BLHeli, not SimonK. If you have SimonK, the basic process is similar, but the beep sequences and options will be different.

Thanks again Josh! Yes, I'm using the SimonK. Another weird thing that I found different from all of the videos on youtube......After the 1st program beeps, I couldn't get beeps to generate again. Only when I put the throttle in the middle position after arming do I hear the regular beeps. With the throttle to 100% (to calibrate all motors at once) I can see that I may be in calibrate or program mode from the leds on the Apm 2.6, but not program beeps. Even if I manually do 1 esc at a time...........no beeps. I hope the reset will work with the SimonK. I'll tinker with it a little more, but I'll probably in up cutting my losses and buying some more.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Let's go back to basics.

1) Disconnect APM from the receiver.

2) Connect a servo to your receiver's throttle channel.

3) Confirm that the servo moves correctly when the throttle moves. In other words, at zero, the servo is all the way to one extreme, and at 100%, the servo is all the way to the other extreme. This will confirm that your transmitter is putting out the correct values.

4) What does the motor do with the ESC plugged directly into the receiver? Does it spool up normally, or do the bidirectional thing?

The BLHeli manual I linked to is not relevant if you're running Simonk, but most ESCs should enter a programming mode when the throttle is left at full. The reset will not work unless you're running BLHeli, though, as I believe that's a BLHeli feature. Simonk will have some other way of resetting, I don't know what...

Also, the SimonK EMAX manual doesn't list a bidirectional mode. So I'm really confused here. Are these ESCs fresh from the manufacturer? Who did you buy them from? I'm really interested to hear the result of step 3.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
PS: At this point, the simplest thing to do may be to get the programming card. for $10-$20, it may be a better value than buying a whole new set of ESCs. There is almost no chance that your ESCs are actually damaged, based on what you've described. It sounds like they're just in some strange configuration and you may not have the experience to troubleshoot it given the tools you've got on hand. At that point, having the programming card just show you the options in black and white may be worth the cost.

NewQuadGuy

Let's go back to basics.

1) Disconnect APM from the receiver.

2) Connect a servo to your receiver's throttle channel.

3) Confirm that the servo moves correctly when the throttle moves. In other words, at zero, the servo is all the way to one extreme, and at 100%, the servo is all the way to the other extreme. This will confirm that your transmitter is putting out the correct values.

4) What does the motor do with the ESC plugged directly into the receiver? Does it spool up normally, or do the bidirectional thing?

The BLHeli manual I linked to is not relevant if you're running Simonk, but most ESCs should enter a programming mode when the throttle is left at full. The reset will not work unless you're running BLHeli, though, as I believe that's a BLHeli feature. Simonk will have some other way of resetting, I don't know what...

Also, the SimonK EMAX manual doesn't list a bidirectional mode. So I'm really confused here. Are these ESCs fresh from the manufacturer? Who did you buy them from? I'm really interested to hear the result of step 3.

Okay,
1. I took the APM out of the picture
2. With the stick at 0% I connected a servo to the receiver and powered it up........servo adjusted to 0% to 100% good there.
3. Connected to the motor to the throttle of receiver and it still did the bidirectional dance.......stopping in the middle throttle and opposite directional from the middle.

I also wanted to confirm that my radio or receiver wasn't bad, so I switch the radio to my 250 quad and armed the 250 w/o any issues........I could fly as normal.........so I took the receiver from the 250 and put it on the 550.......
With my radio set to my 250 quad.........the motors still did the bidirectional dance.........It's the ESCs!

NewQuadGuy

PS: At this point, the simplest thing to do may be to get the programming card. for $10-$20, it may be a better value than buying a whole new set of ESCs. There is almost no chance that your ESCs are actually damaged, based on what you've described. It sounds like they're just in some strange configuration and you may not have the experience to troubleshoot it given the tools you've got on hand. At that point, having the programming card just show you the options in black and white may be worth the cost.

I agree Josh. I'm looking for Emax Program card on Ebay now.......

Thank You!!

I'll update you once I'm done...........

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Based on what you are describing, the ESCs are almost certainly in 3D mode. I just can't think of any other explanation. If you buy a programming card, make sure it has a "motor direction" setting option. If you can, go back to the manufacturer and find out for sure what firmware is installed on them. I am sure that Simonk can do bidirectional ESCs, but none of the manuals I've found for Emax ESCs with Simonk mention it as a supported feature. So I don't want you to spend twenty bucks on a programming card only to find out it's not compatible with your firmware.

RandomChaos

Sounds like the ESCs are flashed with the Reversible SimonK firmware. I would contact the seller about it. Not sure if their is a setting that can turn it off, or if the firmware is just setup this way. Where did you purchase them from?

NewQuadGuy

Based on what you are describing, the ESCs are almost certainly in 3D mode. I just can't think of any other explanation. If you buy a programming card, make sure it has a "motor direction" setting option. If you can, go back to the manufacturer and find out for sure what firmware is installed on them. I am sure that Simonk can do bidirectional ESCs, but none of the manuals I've found for Emax ESCs with Simonk mention it as a supported feature. So I don't want you to spend twenty bucks on a programming card only to find out it's not compatible with your firmware.

It's been shipped, but if it doesn't work I'll contact the ebay seller.

NewQuadGuy

Sounds like the ESCs are flashed with the Reversible SimonK firmware. I would contact the seller about it. Not sure if their is a setting that can turn it off, or if the firmware is just setup this way. Where did you purchase them from?

Thanks Chaos, I'll contact the seller on ebay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Simonk...932?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ec98a3d4 )
to advise them of my issue. It hasn't been 30 yet, but I hope I can reset them with program card ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emax-Progra...615?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d43e39a7 ).

joshuabardwell

Mentor
to advise them of my issue. It hasn't been 30 yet, but I hope I can reset them with program card ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emax-Progra...615?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d43e39a7 ).

If they are flashed with a 3D firmware, you won't be able to reset them with the program card. They'll need to be flashed with a different firmware. For BLHeli, you can switch between bidirectional and single-direction with a configuration change, but it doesn't sound like that's the case with SimonK.

indy6

Emax Simonk ESC in reverse mode

You don't need the programming card. You can program the ESC with the transmitter, which is probably what you did by accident when trying to calibrate. I found a screen shot of the BLHeli configurator, and "motor direction" setting is either normal, reverse, or bidirectional. Are your ESC's running BLHeli? I couldn't find a SimonK manual that referred to 3D (bidirectional) operation.
Hi Josh,
I programmed my Emax ESC Simonk in reverse mode using the throttle, unfortunately I made a mistake going out of program. Now, one of my motor is turning very slowly (it happened to me before) and I cannot enter the program anymore because of a security not allowing to start throttle up...
Do I have to buy this programming item or is there a possibility. I'm stuck :confused: and cannot find either a recent manual (as it has been said, the old manual doesn't mention a reverse mode...

By the way, I love your videos, thanks for that... :)

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I'm sorry, but I just don't know. I use only BLHeli ESCs, at least in part because BLHeliSuite is so convenient to use as a programming tool.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
FYI from another thread
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?22486-BLHeli-ESC-Calibration

there is a new version of the EMAX program card that has an 8th option, "Rotation Direction".

Supposedly if you order from here http://www.emaxmodel.com/program-card-for-simon-series-and-4in1-esc.html that is what you will get even though they don't mention the 8th option, but the jury is still out since this was recent.

also from that thread, this ebay entry had a picture showing one with the 8th option printed on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271951721960?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

In either case you should probably check with seller to make sure the one you get actually has the 8th option before you order.

GlennC

How to get SimonK ESC out of Bidirectional Mode using CleanFlight or Baseflight

I too have found myself with my motors in Bi direction mode, and this is how I got out of it

1. Use either Cleanflight or Baseflight connect you controller board via USB like you would when calibrating the ESC's.

2. Disconnect Battery

3. In the Configuration screen , In the "ESC motor features" Set Min Throttle =1500 ,Mid Throttle= 1700, Max Throttle= 1950 "sometimes this might need to be higher" , Minimum Command = 1500 , This sets it so the only the Top half of the throttle values are used as the bottom set puts the motor in reverse. "Make a note of all the Previous Values , as they will need to be reset later"

4. go to "Motor screen" " Making sure all props are removed" switch on Motor Test Mode, move the motor Sliders to max and leave there, Connect Battery , it should go into program mode now !

5. Wait till you get the eighth set of tones , _ ... (8) , then when you hear the next beep (1), move the slider all the way to minimum and back to maximum , leave the slider there , the ESC should then Exit program mode the ESC should be back in Normal Rotation.

6. Disconnect Battery.
7. Change all setting for "ESC Motor features" in the config screen

8. Re calibrate ESC as normal, motor should be back in Normal Mode

The Setting for SimonK ESC eighth setting are (1) Beep for Normal rotation , (2) Reverse , (3) BiDirection

I've used the (2) Reverse Setting when I don't want to Reverse my wiring !

Best of Luck.