Quadcopter VS Tricopter

Eli Armstrong

I would like to get start in to Multi-Rotor but not sure if I want to start with a Tricopter or Quadcopter.
What are your opinions?
pros?
Cons?

I too am wanting to build my first multirotor but I don't know if I should go tri or quad. But now Flite Test released their rotorbones! So I think I might just do both.

Buy the Tricopter Rotor Bones kit, along with a pair of wood booms (or buy them locally), and a pair of the simple Rotor Bones motor mounts. Then buy every thing for a quadcopter and you will have all the parts for both a quadcopter and a tricopter! Thanks to the Anycopter frame.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I too am wanting to build my first multirotor but I don't know if I should go tri or quad. But now Flite Test released their rotorbones! So I think I might just do both.

Buy the Tricopter Rotor Bones kit, along with a pair of wood booms (or buy them locally), and a pair of the simple Rotor Bones motor mounts. Then buy every thing for a quadcopter and you will have all the parts for both a quadcopter and a tricopter! Thanks to the Anycopter frame.

Then what will happen is you will build the Tri or the quad and simply can't stand to see the other one incomplete so there goes another Hobby King Order and then another and another...................................................;)
Ask me how I know says the man with many multicopters adorning his walls.

Thurmond

Then what will happen is you will build the Tri or the quad and simply can't stand to see the other one incomplete so there goes another Hobby King Order and then another and another...................................................;)
Ask me how I know says the man with many multicopters adorning his walls.

Thurmond

Oh, yes, there will always be more orders and more things to build! :) I think it'd be a good way to start for me so I have experience with both tri's and quad's before I go full out on one or the other

Kogashuko

Just picked up my flightest tricopter frame last week and my hobby king order finally shipped. Unfortunately, they were out of the DT750 so I went with the DT700. I wish I had seen the DT850 first because that is rated for 4c and I already have one of those. I am going to go the same as Davids build with the exception of the motor, board, servo, and rear motor pivot (cant find any of the mounts used in the video in stock anywhere so I dont know what to do.) Half tempted to order 3 more motors and ESCs if I cant find a pivot and go y6.

If this goes well I want to make a y6 using the DT850 motors, 4c lips, and add some sort of headlights.

BTW I am going with the Cruis all in 1 flight controller wiht GPS http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/crius-all-in-one-pro-flight-controller-v1-0 so I can use mission planner. Will share how the build goes. I will be using a gopro 2 and 3.