Queen Bee (150% Super Bee Build)

mattw

Hey guys, I thought I'd I share my build experiences and plans of the "Queen Bee", a 150% scaled up version of the FT Super Bee with a lengthened wing. My goal was to trade some of the Super Bee's raw speed for a slower, but still very acrobatic, platform for aerial video and FPV.

Some differences from the Super Bee that I'll highlight include

• 150% scale with a lengthened wing for a 43.5 inch wingspan
  • Use of "Model Plane Foam" and Depron instead of dollar tree foam
  • Use of fiberglass drywall tape for stiffening the foam (inspired by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eIPqCwHlnI)
  • Use of Foam Tac glue instead of hot glue in most places
  • Addition of landing wheels
  • Laser cut plywood fuselage and motor pod sections
  • Some CF reinforcement in the main wing and tail

For electronics: I went with Emax 1200KV motors (those sold in the the "B" power pack), 18A ESCs and a 2200MAh 3C battery.

Final project weight is about 680g without battery. Build time was 40 hours (I'm slow!) but that includes probably 20 hours of one-time design work.

Maiden flight video is here:

Some final assembly pics:

20170706-untitled shoot-4945.jpg
20170706-untitled shoot-4943.jpg

Some notes on the build:

I laid out the main wing on "Model Plane Foam". The foam board is 48" long so I had just enough room to make the wing in a single piece

20170629-untitled shoot-1020255.jpg
20170629-untitled shoot-1020258.jpg

I decided to redesign and laser cut the main fuselage and power pods. I used fusion 360 to design the parts. You can get the 3D models here:

http://a360.co/2sUxemV
http://a360.co/2sx4Ho1

20170630-untitled shoot-1020268.jpg
20170701-untitled shoot-1020280.jpg

The main body is made from depron. I laser cut the motor pods, fuselage and horizontal stabilizer.

20170629-untitled shoot-1020265.jpg
20170701-untitled shoot-1020270.jpg

I hand cut the vertical stabilizer because the laser cutter I have access to can only cut 12x24"

20170701-untitled shoot-1020282.jpg
20170701-untitled shoot-1020284.jpg

Electronics are essentially "B" power pack x2. I already had the ESCs wired for XT-30 so I made a simple XT-60 -> dual XT-30 "Y" cable.

20170702-untitled shoot-1020292.jpg

Weight looked pretty good at 616g. The wheels I added added another 70 grams. The battery weighs 180g putting the plane at a total weight of 866g. With a wing area of ~ 478.5 sq inches the*wing loading is around 9 oz / sq ft. More importantly, wing cube loading is around 5 which puts us in the "trainer" category (source http://www.flyrc.com/wing-load-calculator/)

20170704-untitled shoot-1020308.jpg

If you want to use any of my work as a starting point, this folder has the files I used:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4Bmq2xe83WbUFpmLXA0MDRIWE0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thank you for sharing - an excellent write up! Love the trim scheme too - looks clean and sharp!

There is a guy in my local club that was struggling with getting his regular sized Super Bee under control - just too twitchy for him - and this looks like an excellent option I'll point him to.

And oh yeah, Welcome to the Forums!! :)

kdobson83

I've always liked the super bee but was worried with how small and fast it was I would have problems with orientation. But with your 150% I don't that would be an issue. Lol. FT offers mini versions of their larger planes like the mini guinea, mini speedster or mini cruiser, I think they should look into offering scaled up versions of their smaller planes, like this awesome guy.
Anyway, awesome plane. Thanks for sharing!!

strateego

I watched your video and I was surprised to see you flying at 60 acres.

I been thinking of building a 1.5x or 2x Superbee for a couple days now. Thanks for sharing your work. Maybe you will see another of you creation out at the field this summer.

mattw

I've always liked the super bee but was worried with how small and fast it was I would have problems with orientation. But with your 150% I don't that would be an issue. Lol. FT offers mini versions of their larger planes like the mini guinea, mini speedster or mini cruiser, I think they should look into offering scaled up versions of their smaller planes, like this awesome guy.
Anyway, awesome plane. Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks! I think this plane is pretty easy to fly, especially in low rates. I agree that having more of the minis upscaled would be great - maybe just offer each design in two or three size options from the get go.

mattw

I watched your video and I was surprised to see you flying at 60 acres.

I been thinking of building a 1.5x or 2x Superbee for a couple days now. Thanks for sharing your work. Maybe you will see another of you creation out at the field this summer.

Thank would be great! Let me know and I'll meet you out there - we can fly them together.

ItMightFly

Wow! That's really cool! Slowly building my regular sized bee, should maiden soon. Maybe if it's too fast, I will build yours. Hope to see more on your Queen! I think it would be cool for Flite Test to use that for their line of planes. Happy flying!

mattw

Wow! That's really cool! Slowly building my regular sized bee, should maiden soon. Maybe if it's too fast, I will build yours. Hope to see more on your Queen! I think it would be cool for Flite Test to use that for their line of planes. Happy flying!

Thanks and good luck with your build! I have not built the regular bee yet, but I do have a Bloody Baron. I plan on putting a bigger motor / esc on the Baron very soon to see how fast I can make it go. :)

ItMightFly

Thanks and good luck with your build! I have not built the regular bee yet, but I do have a Bloody Baron. I plan on putting a bigger motor / esc on the Baron very soon to see how fast I can make it go. :)
My Dad just got a bloody baron at FFE, maybe I could convince him to put a big motor in... You guys could go racing! You should definitely "Build The Bee", it's easy and quick, as long as you have all the parts :D. I plan on making a T-shirt for the bee, I would be happy to send one to you! You deserve it! With all that work, what a better way to show it (other than flying it...). Great job on the build, hope to see more of them flying around :applause:! Happy Flying!

ItMightFly

My Dad just got a bloody baron at FFE, maybe I could convince him to put a big motor in... You guys could go racing! You should definitely "Build The Bee", it's easy and quick, as long as you have all the parts :D. I plan on making a T-shirt for the bee, I would be happy to send one to you! You deserve it! With all that work, what a better way to show it (other than flying it...). Great job on the build, hope to see more of them flying around :applause:! Happy Flying!

mattw

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! I don't have the electronics I need for the Super Bee yet, but I'm sure that will change in time :) Would love to see your shirt design!