Question about a Sluggish Flight

mattyj724

I few my plans this past week and my Simple Scout seems to be flying pretty sluggish. I did have a 10 X4.7 prop vs a 10 X 4.5 on it. Would that cause a significate lack of thrust? Its a 960kv (B pack ) Motor. Also, i used a BPack motor for a FT-22 and a 8X4.5 prop and it didnt have enough thrust at full throttle. Im open to suggestions.

The batteries were 3S 2200MAH

Also both motors were pretty warm after running full throttle for awhile.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
I few my plans this past week and my Simple Scout seems to be flying pretty sluggish. I did have a 10 X4.7 prop vs a 10 X 4.5 on it. Would that cause a significate lack of thrust? Its a 960kv (B pack ) Motor. Also, i used a BPack motor for a FT-22 and a 8X4.5 prop and it didnt have enough thrust at full throttle. Im open to suggestions.

Don't take this the wrong way because I have done it myself but make sure the prop is on the right way, any writing on it facing forward.

Are these slow fly props or electric ones?

mattyj724

I think they are electric. I had to grind down the middle bc they were too thick for the bolt on the motor. I'll post pics when I get home.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I think they are electric. I had to grind down the middle bc they were too thick for the bolt on the motor. I'll post pics when I get home.

Slow fly props have a fat blade but are very thin and easy to bend where as the electric is more rigid, usually where the size is marked it will have either E or SFP after it eg., 10x4.5 SLP or 10x4.5 E.

If they are electric you may have to much prop on it and the motor just can't get it up to full rpm, do you know what the amp draw is?

mattyj724

I do not know the amp draw. The ESCs werent hat at all. just the motors. Which is expected. But ill look and let you know. im not home at the moment.

jaredstrees

Those size props should be fine. I've found I get a bit more thrust out of the slow fly props, but you'll trade some top end. What is the discharge rate for your batteries and how old are they? You can also try moving to a higher kv motor. That may also help give you a bit more thrust.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Also if the motor is warm to the touch and you can comfortably hold onto it don't worry, hot to the touch no good.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

It may be a silly question BUT have you calibrated the ESC?

My first electric build was a little disappointing due to somewhat poor performance. After I learned about ESC calibration and did so it was a different bird!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
I too would first check that the ESC is calibrated if it is then I would check if there is nothing putting preasure on the motor shaft, maybe something is not allowing it to spin properly.

mattyj724

Sooo. IM home, The Props are EP 10X47. So maybe not slow fly? Also i had no idea you had to calibrate the ESC. Link to directions for that?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sooo. IM home, The Props are EP 10X47. So maybe not slow fly? Also i had no idea you had to calibrate the ESC. Link to directions for that?
Did a quick search and did not find a video or the like. Sorry not good at searching obviously!

ESC calibration is simple. First thing is that for safety remove the prop. The calibration can be performed with the prop on but no use tempting fate!

Step one: With the battery disconnected from the ESC/Rx, turn on the transmitter and advance the throttle to Maximum.

Step two: Plug power into the Rx or ESC, (Connect battery). The plane should do a short series of beeps and then pause.

Step three: When the beeping pauses return throttle to zero. The beeping should restart and the beeps should be the standard pattern you normally obtain.

The ESC should now be calibrated!

All calibration does is to let the ESC know what maximum and minimum throttle are from your setup! Nothing magical!

I hope that helps!

Have fun!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Thanks. I will Try This. Also, the props i was using looks to be Electric props and not slowfly. So that also may have limited it.

With a slow fly prop it will feel better at bottom end but top speed will be less. If not happy after that go up to a 1200 or 1400kv motor and put the electric prop back on, you esc should be 35 or even 40amps