question about charging

Vicissitude

Im looking to buy the apprentice s in the next few days. I watched a video of an unboxing and it looks like the charger works with any 12v source. The first thing i thought of is a car battery but actually i have a car jumper in my garage, it basically hooks into the wall and converts the 120 ac into what im assuming is 12v dc since its used to charge car batteries. Im wondering if i could use that as a converter that way i dont have to charge it from a car battery, has anyone tried this?

aiidanwings

Yup. I'm actually using the power supply from the brides torture machine (she calls it an ecliptical.. ) to charge my transmitter as we speak.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I have a charger that has a 12v input port. I found a wall charger from a thrift store that had a matching voltage, and had the amperage that I needed. Also it's important to know the polarity of the plug. Most are ground on the outside of the barrel connector. Some are positive. Be sure which you need, and buy accordingly.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Also, safety note. Do not charge batteries indoors. IF you must, you should always monitor them. They can explode. There's too many cases of people losing their homes from lipo fires.

I charge my batteries inside of a porcelain cookie jar. Try to make sure things around your charging area are not flammable. A concrete floor would be best.

Chargers are electrical devices, and they sometimes go bad. Lipos do not take abuse well, and sometimes react violently. Over discharge, punctures, and impacts can cause them to shoot flames like a torch.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
..The first thing i thought of is a car battery but actually i have a car jumper in my garage, it basically hooks into the wall and converts the 120 ac into what im assuming is 12v dc since its used to charge car batteries...
The car jumper deliver very rough power. I have used one for years but I had an old MC battery in parallel as filter to even the voltage from the jumper to the battery charger.

Vicissitude

this car jumper has adjustable amperage ratings, so i set it to 2 amps. The charger barely heat up, when i used a car battery the charger was pretty hot.

SteevyT

I have an old power supply from a computer currently rigged up as a 12VDC source. One resistor, a switch, and some thermal paste was all it took. Definitely a smoother power source than a wall plug or a car charger.

bacpck

What was the paste for?

Second, what was the paste for? It should have plenty of cooling, most people convert the fan down to 5v to slow it down due to it not being needed to help cool a computer.

Inquiring minds... :)

Last edited:

KRAR

For the Charger that comes with the Apprentice you should be fine, This may or may not work if you ever decide to upgrade you charger.