Question about making your own plans or altering others'

NEBlJLA

Hello , I am very new to the flying rc scene and I have a few questions about making a plane or multi rotor from scratch. More specifically how to make your own plans or modify others. If you draw something up for a plane or copter how do you know its going to work. Am I just over thinking it or is there specific things that have to be considered besides controls. The flight test guys always talk about how they test their design and tweak them to make them work better. How do you know what to change. Do you just need to know how rc planes or copters work. Also what is the best way to choose electronics for a scratch build. Is weight and speed the main things to consider for choosing a motor. Also is there somewhere that explains all the specs on the different electronics and what they do or relate to. My main goal right now is to just make a scaled down version of the nutball but I would like to have the knowledge if I ever wanted to make something crazy. Sorry for the long read and all the questions. I just like to learn everything when I get into hobbys.:) Thanks Lots in advance.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
The way to go is: just try it! Since you're new, it's easiest to just go with a plan, build it and fly it. Get experience in what it's like to fly a plane/multirotor/helicopter. Then you can start modifying (the stage I'm at) and then really scratch building.

You need to understand a little aerodynamics though, if you're going to modify plans. I recommend watching Flitetest's beginners series :)