Question about pets and flight

Thorondor

I'm thinking about getting a pair of parakeets or some other low-maintenance bird when I get into graduate school. That being said, I want to be able to fly occasionally first and foremost, and I am willing to postpone the birds until graduation if necessary. THAT being said, is there anybody here who has simultaneously taken care of a parrot and flown RC, and how did you do it? Should I leave it in the room to have some alone time as I venture for an hour at a time to the local park? Should I bring it along in a cage and hope it doesn't get scared of all the loud beeping and buzzing monsters around it?

Thorondor

Leave it in it`s cage where it will be the most comfortable....no place like home...no place like home, just do not click your ruby slippers together..
I've never had a pet, but I have a sinking feeling that if I did I would hate to leave it alone. Since I'd be in classes for most of the day anyway, I hope I can find the most introverted birds on the planet... The other option is to sneak to the practice football field with some park flyers and only be gone for less than an hour, which would be fairly simple as long as I'm living on campus.

Thorondor

You might want to check with the powers that be. Many dorm rooms have a no pet policy. Too many problems when your python eats my hamsters.
Dangit, that slipped my mind. Unless I can pass it off as an emotional support animal, I'll just have to wait until I get my own house.

Well Mobula, for now you're my only friend...

Piotrsko

Master member
Small birds in large open spaces....... what could possibly go wrong here?

I have had Sherman for 40 years so far, she's so fat she won't fly anymore, not that she ever did much. She also has another 35 to go which beats me by about 20. She views EVERYTHING as either food or chewable bird toy and can destroy 1/2" aircraft plywood in the hour I'm flying a sloper. Cardboard is a favorite treat particularly if it's close by, but she will travel. Budgies and cockatiel are smaller versions but ditto....
My $0.02, YMMV. Don't want to sound negative, but birds aren't dogs or cats

Last edited:

Thorondor

Small birds in large open spaces....... what could possibly go wrong here?

I have had Sherman for 40 years so far, she's so fat she won't fly anymore, not that she ever did much. She also has another 35 to go which beats me by about 20. She views EVERYTHING as either food or chewable bird toy and can destroy 1/2" aircraft plywood in the hour I'm flying a sloper. Cardboard is a favorite treat particularly if it's close by, but she will travel. Budgies and cockatiel are smaller versions but ditto....
My $0.02, YMMV. Don't want to sound negative, but birds aren't dogs or cats
They're basically toddlers with even less communicative skills and also the very real ability to hurt you and your belongings.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
I fly pretty often, take care of a 29gallon and 10 gallon fish tank, and 3 guinea pigs among other responsibilities. I think you could do 2 parakeets.

Thorondor

I fly pretty often, take care of a 29gallon and 10 gallon fish tank, and 3 guinea pigs among other responsibilities. I think you could do 2 parakeets.
I've come to the realization that I can balance flying, birds, and a career, but definitely not flying, birds, and college. It's kinda weird to think that by the time I actually buy a bird the ones I've been looking at in pet stores will be almost dead.