Question about publishing modified FT plans

pX_

Hello,

I really like FliteTest airplanes, but so far I only scratch-build them from their plans. Usually, I download full size plans and modify them in Inkscape so that they fit into FliteTest water resistant foam, print them on a plotter, temporarily glue them to the foamboard until I cut them and glue it together.

My latest effort went into building two FT Spitfires with my buddy. At first, I wanted to build ultramicrobes Messerschmitt Bf 109 ( http://www.flitetest.com/articles/foamboard-messerschmitt-bf109-based-on-ft-spitfire ), but after I viewed the plans, I found out that it would take a bit more effort to do precise plans from them. Now I'm almost finished with it and after I build the Bf-109 and verify that it is OK, I would like to publish the plans.

But as I mentioned, it is based on (an older) FT design of Spitfire, not to mention ultramicrobe modifications. I just made ultramicrobes modifications a bit more symmetric and applied them to the FT Spitfire plans. Therefore I cannot claim that the resulting plans are purely my work and I would like FliteTest (and ultramicrobe) to OK publishing them on FT forums and maybe an article on flitetest.

Thank you for any info about this subject.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
pX_,

First off, welcome to the forum!

I know you're basing off of old plans made from older plans (we all stand on the shoulders of giants, or something like that) but the latest set of plans are copyrighted as free to copy for personal use, not commercial. While the original plans probably didn't bear any similar marking, I have every confidence that was the spirit which they were made.

By letter of the law, this is a derivative work of a derivative work, where the released use wasn't stated on the document (except we have several instances of Josh Bixler on video telling us to go print it out to build from). For sharing around the forum, you're on pretty solid ground legally (that being said, IANAL).

By spirit of the law, I've seen Josh thrilled at the fact people are creating new plans, even when using his as a template. One of his primary goals with Flite test is to get more people building and designing together in this hobby. Speed build kit sales may foot the bill, but it's a means to an end, not the end itself. FliteTest is an entertaining educational media company with a store attached to it, not a model airplane company with a youtube channel attached. Having creative builders and designers generate new plans to create more builders (who may become designers) fits right into the spirit of FT.

I say publish, being sure to give credit to those who've helped you get there. Go ahead and create an new thread and article. That kind of content from this community is some of the most valuable :)

pX_

Thanks for the reply. I thought FT may be OK with it, but it usually doesn't hurt to ask :)

Plus, if it is published on their site, it shouldn't cause no (financial) harm to them, and even if, they can take it down any time.

So once ultramicrobe responds and the plane will fly, I will make a build thread.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I have several derivative designs that I have released free plans for. The Bloody Wonder MkIII is obviously just a few modifications to the FT Bloody Wonder (v2). The Bloody Baron was truly inspired by the FT Bloody Wonder. Not only did FT encourage me to share the plans, they made it into a Speed Build Kit and sell it on the FT Store. As long as you give credit where credit is due, you should be fine.

ultramicrobe

Thanks for the reply. I thought FT may be OK with it, but it usually doesn't hurt to ask :)

Plus, if it is published on their site, it shouldn't cause no (financial) harm to them, and even if, they can take it down any time.

So once ultramicrobe responds and the plane will fly, I will make a build thread.

I am sure its too late - been away from the forums for years. But since its rude not to reply now that I have read it, please do whatever you want. I thought anyone could do whatever they liked and posted them for fun and to share, so go nuts and make them better. Happy flying.

Keno

I have drawn up derivates plans from FT designs and created my own but I encourage others to take those for learning , improvement or creation of a new design. Most designs today are based on upon others to add or change features that will improve their purpose. Learning is a gift and learning is the base that creates new ideas. New inventions or design improvements are always based on personal experience and education.

AussieBison