Question about reducing Bloody Wonder/Funbat roll sensitivity.

FlyingLego

Hello, my FT Bloody Wonder is overly roll-sensitive and I was wondering if anyone could share some ways of reducing this tendency? It is so so sensitive, it is very difficult to fly.

I've tried shortening the linkages, and adjusting the positioning of the white thingy with the holes in it(connecting the control rods to the servo, as shown in pics), but it doesn't help much.

Now that I think about it I don't remember why the guy at the RC club told me to try shortening the rods, seems like that wouldn't help. Anyway I don't have anymore replacement rods, however I have ordered a replacement kit(FT Bloody Wonder) for spare parts. So I can use parts from that if you have ideas.

Also, I was wondering if I could adjust the rates on my transmitter as a work-around, but it's this old Spektrum DX4e so I don't know if it has settings like that, don't think I have the manual for it anymore.

I thought about physically trimming the ailerons, but I believe that would reduce total wing area and decrease overall lift.
I'm guessing there is a simple solution I'm not thinking of.

Also, last time I posted on here was like a year ago, so I'm posting here 'cause I'm still new to FT forums.
I hope this is the right place to post this. Thanks in advance for assistance! :)

-FlyingLego

PICS:
20170722_000645.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
From what I can see in the picture supplied I would not even attempt to fly it!

The servo arm is sooooooo very long and I bet the deflections of the ailerons are huge.

If you have the rates reduced in the transmitter it might help but then I question the positional definition of your radio transmitter.

At least I would bring the control linkages to the inner most holes on the servo output arm.

Use plenty of Expo 30+ % and test fly it again. If it is still difficult to control consider the fitting of a standard control arm on the servo and bring the pushrods in even more.

When you establish it as almost controllable program the transmitter for a dual rate with a 30% reduced rate to start with and this should really calm it down.

Another trick from the old days for extremely light models is to add small, (Equal), wing tip weights to increase the inertia of the wings and dampen the twitch nature of very light builds flying in gusty conditions. Remove them for those calmer flying conditions.

Just what works for me!

have fun!

randyrls

Randy
Also, I was wondering if I could adjust the rates on my transmitter as a work-around, but it's this old Spektrum DX4e so I don't know if it has settings like that, don't think I have the manual for it anymore.

Hello; Whenever I get a new toy, appliance, or whatever, the FIRST thing I do is go find the manual on the internet, download it and save it to my computer.

Your DX4e manual can be found here:
https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPMR4400-Manual.pdf

Hai-lee's post is spot on!
Hope this helps.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
Move the rods towards the center of the servo horn. You only need about 30° for a plane like that, even at 100% throw. You shouldn't just chop the rates from the TX, because that reduces the usable resolution inside your normal flight window. Your "normal" rate should be 100% on the TX, and adjust the hardware instead. I still have an extra "low" rate programmed at 75% or so, just for fun.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Why not just limit throws using end points..... Set them for 12- 15 degrees on both directions then set dual rates to 60% with 30% expo on all modes.

On the Bloody Baron elevator throws are only 2.5 mm either direction for crazy maneuverability. I would assume the Wonder is just as maneuverable on small amounts of control surface travel.