question about teaching my daughter

epicfail78

hi all I am going to build a 3 channel legacy to teach my 11 year old daughter the basics of flight and have a question. would you guys recommend putting the rudder where the ailerons would usually be to kind of break her in towards the " bank and yank" or would you just leave the rudder on the throttle stick and the elevator on its own?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If you're flying mode 2 (almost everyone in North America), Then yeah, one stick is probably best. On a three channel plane yaw and roll are coupled anyways. Keep it simple, down to this stick "Makes it change direction" and "don't touch that one".

Eventually you'll move her up to "Makes it change direction" and "changes speed" . . . and someday later you can add the 4th channel and de-couple yaw and roll, but for now, just get her focused on one stick.

Keno

In the beginning 3 channel is OK as you have asked. In most small trainer nobody uses the rudder in the beginning as the ailerons gives left and right control. In most cases for an new flyer the rudder is only use to steer the plane down the runway. Once they learn to control their flight introduce them to the rudder and how it can be used. Get your daughter into the air all things will come after.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Craftydan, put the rudder on the aileron stick.
You might want to consider just starting her with a 4 channel. That’s how I learned. Ailerons can have more authority than a rudder, just turn them down until she is ready.

Bricks

Master member
I like Merv`s idea get used to using rudder there are guys at the field who have been flying better then 30 years and do not use rudder while flying just the way they learned. It has stuck with them where they cannot seem to incorporate rudder as it should be used during the flight.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'm still learning myself, but I imagine starting with a rudder in some capacity is better than starting without, so if you are doing a simple 3 channel, RET is the way to go. Otherwise, the suggestion of starting with a four channel with tuned down ailerons is a good one. If you have to pick one, it would be a tough call. I would almost say have two planes ready, an RET for simplicity's sake, and a docile 4 channel to move straight into ailerons when she can keep the RET in the air. At 11, starting with 4ch would probably be fine, but everyone learns different and has different strengths and weaknesses, and the multitasking of working with four channels right off the bat might not be ideal for some kids' learning styles. You'll know. Just don't start her with elevons ;), those are a bit funky at first.

Last edited: