question about video goggles

rcflyer729

fpv and rc planes
Hi I have a question about which video goggles to get. I am 14 and don't have nanny ways to get money so the 2 goggles I am looking at are the Predator V2 and the TELEPORTER V3. I have a friend who has the predator v2 and I really like them. When looking for goggles I can't find out the difference between the Predator V2 and the TELEPORTER V3. Does anyone have the Predator V2 and the TELEPORTER V3 if so could you recommend which one is better. Does anyone know of a cheaper way to get goggles I looked on ebay and they are no cheaper. here is the links for the product listing.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_318&products_id=1129
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_22_227&products_id=2280

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
The Teleporter is half the resolution of the Predator. So you get a lot less fidelity and if you try flying with an OSD it will likely be unreadable.

Otherwise the goggles themselves appear to be more or less identical based on the spec sheets from FatShark:

Predator V2:
Display
Full color Kopin CyberDisplay
922,000 pixels binocular display (640 X 480 VGA)
NTCS/PAL auto selecting

Teleporter V3:
Display
Full color Kopin CyberDisplay
230,000 pixels binocular display (320 X 240 QVGA)
NTCS/PAL auto selecting

Full spec sheet for Predator: http://fatshark.com/uploads/pdf/1719-2.pdf
Full spec sheet for Teleporter: http://fatshark.com/uploads/pdf/1756-2.pdf

The cameras they ship with are also somewhat different. The specs on the Teleporter camera sound a bit lower than the ones on the Predator - but the Teleporter camera can record while the Predator camera can't.

They both use the same RF system.

I went back and forth quite a bit and ended up deciding against either and going with the Base SD (ordered from getfpv whom I was VERY impressed with the service from.) The downside there is that the Base SD is almost as expensive as the Predator but doesn't include the VTX/RX or camera - it's just goggles. I already had a 5.8g TX/RX set I was experimenting with and my long term plans include 1.2/1.3ghz instead of 5.8 so the RX in the goggles didn't seem that great to me. The Base also has a 35 degree FOV compared to 25 with the Predator and Teleporters so it should give a more immersive image. The base also includes additional filtering to keep your RF signal from interfering and adjustable lenses to accommodate a wider range of eye positions and supposedly has better optics (glass instead of plastic.) So I figured they'd be good for me while the Predator or Teleporter would be somewhat wasteful as I didn't need or want another VTX/RX or camera.

The Base set I got is all I've got to try but I'm shocked that people are happy with Predators if their optics are any lower quality. I'm really picky about that kind of thing but the chromatic abberation on the Base goggles is really bad at the edges. And the 35 degree FOV is nice and immersive...but...it's almost too big as I have to keep looking around the image to see all of my OSD. I'd love to meet up with someone with some Predators to compare head to head with sometime.

rcflyer729

fpv and rc planes
Thanks a lot you have been a big help! I will look at the base SD I also already have a video tx rx and a gopro but was hoping to be able to fit the rx in the goggles. but I could probably figure out a way to mount them on the goggles. Thanks again

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I love my Predator V2's

I fly very happily with them.

If you're just starting out, I'd go with the Predators and the combo package.

You can always upgrade the goggles later, and use the Predators as a spare set to give "rides" to curious folks.

I agree with the GetFPV suggestion. Both them, and ReadyMadeRC are fantastic to deal with, and very fast shippers.

2ma

Hi guys !
What do you think of Attitude V2 (It is also for my first fpv setup).
thank you !

HawkMan

I just got a set of Attitude v2's and they're great 35 degree fov, which I certainly don't feel is to small and head tracking capability.

My only problem is that I should have gotten a screen first, if you haven't flown fpv you shouldn't go straight to goggles. Though I'm flying a 500 size quad now, if it was a racer or an fpv plane I don't imagine it would be as much of a problem

rcflyer729

fpv and rc planes
you can get a cheep $30 lcd screen on ebay which is what i would do at first it is a lot easier to fly with a screen at first when you have the googles on you can not just look up and take control
Also i would start with the quad they are so much easier to learn fpv on because u can hover

rcflyer729

fpv and rc planes
I think they would work great for fist fpv setup the only reason I did not get them instead of the predictors is price:)