Question for the mad scratch builders from a noob!!

Dunfielder

After printing out my plans for my p-40 and taping them together I noticed something wrong. My template for the fuselage is about 1cm too long to fit on a 20x30 sheet of readi board. I could just trim off the paper that folds over the nose part I'm guessing. When I printed my plans I just did it through windows 10 at actual size. The scale on the pages is the right size, an inch is an inch and a cm is a cm. Also noticed the readi board is actually 29 7/8 long. Am I pooched? Or are my paper templates salvageable? Want to know before I mount them to poster board. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I don't think so. a little hard to tell as its not trimmed up perfectly yet but looks like it's gonna hang over still as it's quite a wide piece
I had this happen before. It's probably not the best thing to do but I cut the plans into 2 different pieces and glued them together afterwards. It hasn't come apart yet!

Dunfielder

I had this happen before. It's probably not the best thing to do but I cut the plans into 2 different pieces and glued them together afterwards. It hasn't come apart yet!
So you glued the fuselage together in 2 pieces? My issue is it over hangs the foam board. I thought all these pieces fit on 20x30 inch sheets. Really don't wanna have a join for the last half inch of the fuselage on my foamboard. Or am I misunderstanding?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
My template for the fuselage is about 1cm too long to fit on a 20x30 sheet of readi board.!
I’d use the template and take the length from the tail end of the plane. A 1cm change is not going to make that much difference.

I have often had to add far more to the nose to get the CG right.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I’d use the template and take the length from the tail end of the plane. A 1cm change is not going to make that much difference.

I have often had to add far more to the nose to get the CG right.
I agree with @Merv. I notice the 1/8" reduction in length... I have shrunk my page frame to ensure I had time