Question on AMA insurance

subman631

FT had a video awhile back that talked about taking part 107 and that the guys there had to take the 107 test and have a Remote Pilot Certificate because flying was part of their jobs.

But you do not have to fly from AMA fields. A land owner can fly all he wants to from his land. He can permit anyone else to also fly there. As far as I know Edgewater is not a AMA field.

I fly from a private full size airfield. Also just under 5 miles from a non-control tower busy city field. You do not have to get permission to fly. That is just for areas under the LAANC system.

A recreation flyer must register with the FAA and get a number and use that one number on all their planes ( over .55 pounds). A part 107 pilot must register each plane.
You're right. You can fly from any field you like. It's just under certain circumstances that the FAA has stepped in rather hard. We're surrounded by small airfields and until the FAA changes their rules, those in that 5 mile radius must get permission unless you're at an AMA sanctioned field. Of course, many small airfields are operated by local guys who will just tell you to fly whenever you want. In reality, unless someone does something extremely stupid, the FAA isn't going to worry about us.

Piotrsko

Master member
Traditionally, both the FAA and FCC primarily respond to complaints by other people since they are both chronically understaffed. The FCC does have tracing radio vans. Up side, if you DON'T generate complaints from the general population, you'll probably never see either alphabet agency employees.

moret

You're right. You can fly from any field you like. It's just under certain circumstances that the FAA has stepped in rather hard. We're surrounded by small airfields and until the FAA changes their rules, those in that 5 mile radius must get permission unless you're at an AMA sanctioned field. Of course, many small airfields are operated by local guys who will just tell you to fly whenever you want. In reality, unless someone does something extremely stupid, the FAA isn't going to worry about us.

There is nothing about 5 miles in the new rules. Look at a major airport. Its class B,C, D or E from the surface may go way farer then 5 miles. Our field is under 5 miles from an airport surrounded by Class E. But that class E starts at 700 feet so we are in class G airspace so we do not need to call and FAA says do not call a control tower or ATC. Instead learn to read a sectional.( http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=37...com/?type=vfrc&lat=37.246&lon=-93.389&zoom=10) The AMA is not keeping its members inform and up to date on the new rules. It is not fly as you did before anymore, and no you can not fly over 400 feet!. The FAA makes the rules, not the AMA. LAANC is now open to recreational flyers. The Test is coming fast.

This AC outlines eight conditions:

1. Fly strictly for recreational purposes.
  2. Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization.
  3. Keep your drone within your line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located and in direct communication with you.
  4. Operate in a manner that does not interfere with, and gives way to, any manned aircraft.
  5. Do not fly in controlled airspace (around and above many airports) unless you are flying at a recreational flyer fixed site that has an agreement with the FAA.
    1. Flight in controlled airspace is temporarily limited to these fixed fields. The FAA is upgrading the online system, known as LAANC (the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability), so that recreational operations can get automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace. This system is currently only available for certified Part 107 drone pilots.
    2. Do not contact the local FAA Air Traffic facilities for airspace authorizations.
  6. Fly your drone at or below 400 feet when in uncontrolled or "Class G" airspace.
  7. Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test.
  8. Register and externally mark your drone, and carry proof of registration with you.

Learn more about the rules you should follow to fly your drone safely.

subman631

"Letters of Agreement Between Clubs and Air Traffic Control" was taken directly from this month's FAA update blog in which they mention the 5 mile limit. Maybe it's been removed in the last week but it was there when I copied it. I'm done arguing about that. Do as you wish.

I don't own a drone. Never have. Never will. There's really no place to fly it around here without some fool thinking his privacy has been invaded and calling the cops. As a fixed wing flier, I find it extremely irritating that those drone fliers who go to WalMart, buy a drone and proceed to do everything possible to act like fools has managed to drag we fixed wing fliers into this regulatory mess. I blame that also on the AMA, who didn't do a good job of separating a long-standing tradition of safe flying by fixed wing fliers from the new breed of irresponsible, untrained, uncaring drone pilots. Not all drone pilots fit this classification, of course, and those people should be just as irate.

moret

" As a fixed wing flier, I find it extremely irritating that those drone fliers who go to WalMart, buy a drone and proceed to do everything possible to act like fools has managed to drag we fixed wing fliers into this regulatory mess. I blame that also on the AMA, who didn't do a good job of separating a long-standing tradition of safe flying by fixed wing fliers from the new breed of irresponsible, untrained, uncaring drone pilots. Not all drone pilots fit this classification, of course, and those people should be just as irate.

In total agreement with your statement.
I would add that many who go to Walmart to get a drone have no ideal of the rules. A local hobby shop may try to inform a person. Wal mart would not ( if you could even find a salesperson)

moret

I hate new government rules but maybe the FAA should do as the FCC. As a ham operator, if I wish to buy a new high power amp I would need to show my FCC license to purchase the "kit" that would allow the amp to run on 10 or 12 meters. This is to keep the amps off the old CB band. I know it does not stop the homemade or resold amps from being used on CB. But if I walked into Walmart and wished to buy a drone (or any sUAS )over .55 pounds and the sales person stated "Yes sir but I need to see a copy of your FAA license" After the test is up and running, would that help? Maybe the increased paperwork would stop Walmart from having the drones for sale

subman631

I hate new government rules but maybe the FAA should do as the FCC. As a ham operator, if I wish to buy a new high power amp I would need to show my FCC license to purchase the "kit" that would allow the amp to run on 10 or 12 meters. This is to keep the amps off the old CB band. I know it does not stop the homemade or resold amps from being used on CB. But if I walked into Walmart and wished to buy a drone (or any sUAS )over .55 pounds and the sales person stated "Yes sir but I need to see a copy of your FAA license" After the test is up and running, would that help? Maybe the increased paperwork would stop Walmart from having the drones for sale
Excellent point. I am also a Ham (N4XTK) and all my 'old' radios are on Ham frequencies. I would never sell them to anyone unless I see their license. I would hope they have a version of the license for drones and one for fixed wing. Even common sense questions would flunk half the people. :)

Vavve

I can't say that AMA is a perfect insurance company. I had a situation recently, I was in an accident and seriously injured my leg. But I didn't panic and didn't worry because my insurance company fulfills its obligations on time. My company has a very high level of responsibility. With them, I feel really insured. I advise you to use the services of this company. They process everything quickly and do not keep their customers waiting. I hope my comment will help you.
Here is the link :
https://usave.co.uk/

Last edited: