Question on Motor and ESC replacement

Jason of Gaming

Gravity is heartless...
I broke the front right arm on my Eachine Falcon 250 Pro and banged up the motor too, from the sound of it. I have to replace the arm and I am going to replace the motor too. The ESC (all the motors and ESCs are stock) should be just fine and I want to keep it. If I buy a new motor should I solder it to the old motor wires, or cut the heat shrink off the ESC and solder straight to it? Or is their a connector I don't know about? Any help appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I would de-solder from the ESC, this gives the cleanest build, and the fewest possible points of failure.

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
Thanks, so I should cut back the ESC heatshrink and replace it? Do I need to order heat shrink?

That depends on how clean you want it to look in the end. If you don't mind things looking a little messy, there is nothing wrong with cutting the heat shrink, soldering & then taping it back up. Use something non-conductive like electrical tape. If this sounds ok to you, don't cut the heat shrink all the way off & you won't have messy adhesive all over your ESC - just the heat shrink.

megabotz

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Be quick when you solder to an ESC. Remove old solder, re-tin the pads, tin the new motor leads (remove any enamel on those leads) and don't keep your iron on the ESC for long.

Trust me on this. Overheating ESCs sucks.

When you are done, use a smokestopper to test your work. :)