Question regarding Syma X5C versions - I'm stuck!

chubbyrain

Hi! I have had three Syma X5C's. One is different from the others and I'd like to figure out which is the 'upgraded' version, plus maybe you can help me with an issue. Here goes, thank you:

Symas #1 and #2: Matte finished/brushed body, more flexible plastic. White. Markings love to rub off. No legs at ends of arms, gears are covered by a grill. 4 vent holes along the arms.

Syma #3: Shiny, rigid plastic body. White. Has extensions under each propeller, sort of rigid legs. Gears are exposed directly beneath. 3 vent holes along the arms.

The dilemma: I owned Syma #1. Loved it, lost it. Still had controller and transmitter, so I ordered a replacement Syma and ended up getting Syma #3. It will not work with the Syma #1 (or #2) transmitter. I happened to buy Syma #2 for a friend and that works great with the transmitter. So the issue is- which of these stinkin things is truly the upgraded Syma I've heard about, and, if you loved the Syma X5C, what do you recommend since i have a controller, batteries, etc.? Lots of sites say 'upgraded version' and I'm not sure who to believe. Questions welcome.

Thank you for your help, great forum.

I have had several syma x5c's as well. As far as I can tell, Syma X5C #3 is the upgraded version. I have the X5C-1(the upgraded version) and it matches the description of #3. I personally enjoy the syma X5C-1 more than the original. It tends to be more stable, and I've found it to be faster and easier to control.

I would personally recommend keeping #3 and giving your friend #2. It is true that your old controller won't work with the old controller from #1, but it is a better quadcopter. With the controller, you can either give it to your friend so he/she has an extra transmitter, or you can take it apart and check out the inner workings. (That's what I personally like to do with old controllers) All the old batteries will work with #3, so I would keep those.

Hope all this helps. Those quads are really fun to fly around and beat up. My first one lasted me 6 months of nonstop crashing and stressfull flying. I still have the frame hung up.

Have fun flying!

chubbyrain

Thanks for your great response. Could you confirm with me what the updated controller should look like (differentiating logo, etc.)? I'd like to find one standalone that matches #3 and hopefully end up with a working pair.

I have had several syma x5c's as well. As far as I can tell, Syma X5C #3 is the upgraded version. I have the X5C-1(the upgraded version) and it matches the description of #3. I personally enjoy the syma X5C-1 more than the original. It tends to be more stable, and I've found it to be faster and easier to control.

I would personally recommend keeping #3 and giving your friend #2. It is true that your old controller won't work with the old controller from #1, but it is a better quadcopter. With the controller, you can either give it to your friend so he/she has an extra transmitter, or you can take it apart and check out the inner workings. (That's what I personally like to do with old controllers) All the old batteries will work with #3, so I would keep those.

Hope all this helps. Those quads are really fun to fly around and beat up. My first one lasted me 6 months of nonstop crashing and stressfull flying. I still have the frame hung up.

Have fun flying!

I don't really have a great answer for you. All I know is that they changed the protocol in the controller from the syma x5c to the syma x5c-1. They really aren't good at keeping consistency over there. :) Both controllers look virtually identical, I believe there is no difference between the look of them. The only thing I can vaguely remember is that the light on the controller is a different color, but I couldn't find the video I heard that in again.

When you're searching for the right controller to buy, just type in syma x5c-1 controller on a respectable website. If it doesn't work with your quad, that would be 100% the company's fault for false advertising.

If you don't want to take that chance (because those websites aren't always the most reliable), you can get a Syma X8C controller. That quad and the syma x5c-1 run on the same protocol. Here is a video on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzsnpNNoUhI

He calls it just a syma x5c in the video, but that is a x5c-1. He confirms it in the description. The controllers may look different, but they have the same guts. I would personally get this controller because it is said online that it gets better range with it.

I really hope this works out for you. It was such a hassle to match up all my quads with new controllers in the beginning. I hated how every company had to use a different protocol, and even within the same company. I just hope you have a great time with your quads.

Last edited:

chubbyrain

Thanks again for your great feedback. This really helps!

I don't really have a great answer for you. All I know is that they changed the protocol in the controller from the syma x5c to the syma x5c-1. They really aren't good at keeping consistency over there. :) Both controllers look virtually identical, I believe there is no difference between the look of them. The only thing I can vaguely remember is that the light on the controller is a different color, but I couldn't find the video I heard that in again.

When you're searching for the right controller to buy, just type in syma x5c-1 controller on a respectable website. If it doesn't work with your quad, that would be 100% the company's fault for false advertising.

If you don't want to take that chance (because those websites aren't always the most reliable), you can get a Syma X8C controller. That quad and the syma x5c-1 run on the same protocol. Here is a video on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzsnpNNoUhI

He calls it just a syma x5c in the video, but that is a x5c-1. He confirms it in the description. The controllers may look different, but they have the same guts. I would personally get this controller because it is said online that it gets better range with it.

I really hope this works out for you. It was such a hassle to match up all my quads with new controllers in the beginning. I hated how every company had to use a different protocol, and even within the same company. I just hope you have a great time with your quads.