Questions about the Mighty Mini F22 (Control setup, props, etc)

MrMonoWheel

Hey everyone!

I am building a Mighty Mini F22 and realized I have no idea how to set up the controls, as it only uses the elevators with one servo per elevator. I have been flying a mini scout as well as a carbon cub S2 which is where I got the controller from. For the reciever I am using a LemonRX 6ch DSMX reciever, and the ESC is a Mantis Slim 20a. I am also wondering what the best prop size is for this little plane. The build page says a 6x4.5, is that what I should go with or have you guys found something else to work better?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Hey everyone!

I am building a Mighty Mini F22 and realized I have no idea how to set up the controls, as it only uses the elevators with one servo per elevator. I have been flying a mini scout as well as a carbon cub S2 which is where I got the controller from. For the reciever I am using a LemonRX 6ch DSMX reciever, and the ESC is a Mantis Slim 20a. I am also wondering what the best prop size is for this little plane. The build page says a 6x4.5, is that what I should go with or have you guys found something else to work better?
It doestn use just two elevators. if your transmitter supports mixing, then you have to make a mix that turns them int elevons, so if you move the aileron stick they act as ailerons and same for the elevator

MrMonoWheel

It doestn use just two elevators. if your transmitter supports mixing, then you have to make a mix that turns them int elevons, so if you move the aileron stick they act as ailerons and same for the elevator
Well yeah that's what I meant, but physically it's just using two elevator control surfaces to do all the work. I looked into it and found out about the elevon mixing. Turns out my DSX controller will do it but I need to update the firmware, for which I need a specific cable and possibly a serial adapter.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Well yeah that's what I meant, but physically it's just using two elevator control surfaces to do all the work. I looked into it and found out about the elevon mixing. Turns out my DSX controller will do it but I need to update the firmware, for which I need a specific cable and possibly a serial adapter.
That’s odd because using elevons for flying wings has been around for a very long time. For many transmitters, you simple use the new model and when it asks what kind of model, you choose ”Wing” -that should do the mixing for you.

MrMonoWheel

That’s odd because using elevons for flying wings has been around for a very long time. For many transmitters, you simple use the new model and when it asks what kind of model, you choose ”Wing” -that should do the mixing for you.
I thought so too. I'll give it a shot, but according to the manual for my DXS (base model transmitter), it says if the PID begins with SHTK it needs an update.

Edit: here's where I saw that info

https://manuals.plus/spectrum/dxs-transmitter-preset-model-manual

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I thought so too. I'll give it a shot, but according to the manual for my DXS (base model transmitter), it says if the PID begins with SHTK it needs an update.

Edit: here's where I saw that info

https://manuals.plus/spectrum/dxs-transmitter-preset-model-manual
The manual says there are 4 profiles, including an Elevon:

ELEVON A/B PROFILES –This preset is intended for Delta wing and Flying wing models that require Elevon Mixing. This mode mixes the Aileron and Elevator channels to produce pitch and roll movements with 2 control surfaces. When using an Elevon Profile, it is likely you will need to Reverse either Aileron/Elevator or both. (see DXS manual for channel reversing instructions)

Here is a video to use the preset profiles - I would try it before trying to update the transmitter.

MrMonoWheel

The manual says there are 4 profiles, including an Elevon:

ELEVON A/B PROFILES –This preset is intended for Delta wing and Flying wing models that require Elevon Mixing. This mode mixes the Aileron and Elevator channels to produce pitch and roll movements with 2 control surfaces. When using an Elevon Profile, it is likely you will need to Reverse either Aileron/Elevator or both. (see DXS manual for channel reversing instructions)

Here is a video to use the preset profiles - I would try it before trying to update the transmitter.

So what about this part:
IMG_20221020_135620_740.jpg

MrMonoWheel

Alright so an update. I got the transmitter updated and now it has wing mode. Everything was done and the plane functioned perfectly. Upon taking the plane out on its maiden it was flying fantastic for the first 10-15 seconds, and then at about 50ft up the plane completely disconnected from the transmitter and became a lawn dart. Needless to say the plane is totaled, but the issue is why did this happen? I am using a LemonRX LM0034 6 channel receiver and a ZTW mantis slim G2 20a esc with a 850mah 3s 65C battery.

I sent an email to AltitudeHobbies (where I ordered from) hoping they can help me out, but until I get this sorted I dont want to put this hardware in another plane. That being said, while this plane was flying it was easily the most enjoyable flying experience I have had with any plane thusfar. Definitely a new favorite.

1666573989452.png

Edit: I hooked up the LemonRX receiver with a generic SimonK 30A ESC from aliexpress and had a motor running on my desk at about 50% throttle. After around 30 seconds the receiver LED turned off and the motor shut down, then after a few seconds it came back. So it does seem the receiver is cutting out for one reason or another. I placed an order for a Spektrum AR620 from amazon so I can have something reliable in the meantime, but it would be cool if AltitudeHobbies helps me out as well.

Last edited: