Solved Questions on Power?

leaded50

Legendary member
3536 1200kw brushless, 50A ESC , 10X6 prop. by 4s 1800mAh 45c lipo . ESC get hot and power shuts off, and come back seconds later after reciver restart.
Recommended ESC is 40A, recommended prop is the 10X6. On full effect motor draws 390W, and is not "too hot", (can hold without burning).
ESC is too hot, close to burning to hold on. All deans plug.

Esc brand not good? Its a new setup.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You could try adding a heatsink. Also make sure it is out in the airflow where it can get some cooling.

leaded50

Legendary member
ESC was in airflow, by powertesting for 10 sec. Ill try another ESC as a Red Brick with a big heatsink, just to test it.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have a Surfer2000 with a stock ESC that gets really hot. I've been thinking about using a seperate UBEC and ESC to prevent any brownouts. It Might actually be a good candidate for A Matek F405-wing with integrated BECs. Would only need an ESC for the motor then.

Bricks

Master member
Is your ESC rated for 4S? Then if it is then your ESC is not holding it`s own as it should. Could try 3S see what happens.

leaded50

Legendary member
Rechecked with another ESC, even if both say 4s is ok, the BLHeli ESC in the plane seems didnt.... . Other 50A ESC, and varm after 10min. but not "burning hot". Here Red Bricks gonna be standard ESC´s . never had one failed over years.

leaded50

Legendary member
Do somebody know, if possible to set up another motor in same plane as slave, following the master motor? And could cut the other motor by a switch? Or do both need be on the motorchannel at reciver?

leaded50

Legendary member
You can have 2 motors, each on it's own channel. That's the way you setup deferential thrust.

so, no problem use one motor at one channel, and mix with another motor at another channel, and steered similar in throttle? Of course by cut the power one one of the esc´s . Plan was use a normal prop-motor, and an edf on same plane, with posibillity to cut the edf when wants.

Sero

Elite member
3536 1200kw brushless, 50A ESC , 10X6 prop. by 4s 1800mAh 45c lipo . ESC get hot and power shuts off, and come back seconds later after reciver restart.
Recommended ESC is 40A, recommended prop is the 10X6. On full effect motor draws 390W, and is not "too hot", (can hold without burning).
ESC is too hot, close to burning to hold on. All deans plug.

Esc brand not good? Its a new setup.

A 10x6 is too much prop on a 3536 1200KV motor in my experience and is good for 3s, not 4s. I would bet if you put a watt meter on there you would be pulling more than 50 amps. If you want to run 4s you would probably have to move down to a 9" prop.

so, no problem use one motor at one channel, and mix with another motor at another channel, and steered similar in throttle? Of course by cut the power one one of the esc´s . Plan was use a normal prop-motor, and an edf on same plane, with posibillity to cut the edf when wants.

You can assign throttle to another channel and create a mix to shut it off with a switch. Don't forget to pull the red positive wire from your secondary ESC, or the BEC's could be fighting each other causing a failure.

leaded50

Legendary member
Thanks @Sero . The "glitching" was the ESC fault, my 3536 fundtion very well with a 10X6 prop not pulling to much amps. Even on 4s.

Good to know, its just to0 mix the throttle :) Thanks!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
so, no problem use one motor at one channel, and mix with another motor at another channel, and steered similar in throttle?
Correct,

With a twin motor setup, you should use the same motor on each side. I’m not sure how mixing a motor and EDF will work. The difference in thrust and speed may cause issues.