Quick Electric Motor and ESC Question

IcedStorm777

So using something like a 30A ESC and a normal brushless motor like what would be used on an Arrow or something like that, is their any way I can make it so the motor can go forwards and backwards? I am trying to make a tank out of some motors but can't do that unless I can have them go both forwards and backwards without switching the wires? If their isn't, what type of motor do I need? Thanks!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
It is not the motor that needs to be special, you need a special ESC. You can buy reversible ESC's I think, and another option would be to get a programmable ESC and somehow turn on the reversing function.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Pretty much any ESC these days can do that. Its called bi directional mode and can be changed by plugging into a computer, using a card or by radio using the beep codes once its put into programming mode.

Programming mode is just like doing a throttle calibration except you dont drop your throttle down after those boot up beeps. Most esc's come with a paper that tells you how to enter set up and how what the beep codes mean. If not you should be able to get it from the manufacturer websites.

eric75

In theory it is very possible, but not many pilots want that function. Your best bet is to investigate ESCs for RC cars. I did a search for "RC airplane reverse thrust" and got a few results that are specific to aircraft, but since you are building a tank, the cooling and durability of a car ESC would probably serve you better.

quorneng

Master member
IcedStorm777
A brushless motor has a very low starting torque, indeed it has almost none, as it has to have a single pulse to jerk the motor to determine if it is going the right way round. Not a problem with an air propeller but any serious rotational resistance and the pulse will not create enough movement to create the feed back voltage to the ESC so it wont start running.
In vehicles, particularly cross country applications, it is common to used brushed motors as they will try to turn in the desired direction even from stationary.