Quick Question

Darren

Is it bad to put your video tx close to your rc rx? Also video rx next to your rc tx? Will there be interference?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Is it bad to put your video tx close to your rc rx? Also video rx next to your rc tx? Will there be interference?

It is common knowledge that the RC Rx should be as far as possible from the VTx. I don't know about it the other way around, though.

Nonamerc

Arman

If you have a wing do it on the wing tips. If you have a bixler checkout my article making the bixler long range and i will talk about that

bmsweb

Site Moderator
As far away as possible is always the rule. I actually have issues with my Mini Skywalker because its so small and I can't really move things away from each other. The biggest issue I have with it is the video is still having some issue due to the Motor, esc etc

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
It is common knowledge that the RC Rx should be as far as possible from the VTx. I don't know about it the other way around, though.

I didn't possess that bit of "common knowledge" either. Sorry, I'll try harder.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I didn't possess that bit of "common knowledge" either. Sorry, I'll try harder.

I wouldn't give it a second thought, because its only common knowledge to the people who are right into FPV. I would also get into the habit of questioning everything so called experts tell you. I've learned the hard way that most of the knowledge you tap into on forum boards it not based on experience at all.

I've slowly become far more knowledgeable with the 5.8Ghz frequency band and I cannot believe some of the comments I've seen posted on forum boards about it. So please don't try harder, just enjoy and ask away . . . hell I do :)

Nonamerc

Arman
I wouldn't give it a second thought, because its only common knowledge to the people who are right into FPV. I would also get into the habit of questioning everything so called experts tell you. I've learned the hard way that most of the knowledge you tap into on forum boards it not based on experience at all.

I've slowly become far more knowledgeable with the 5.8Ghz frequency band and I cannot believe some of the comments I've seen posted on forum boards about it. So please don't try harder, just enjoy and ask away . . . hell I do :)

Friend of mine had the same problem. Maybe use ferrite rings on the wires of your vtx or even install a lc filter if that does not work.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor

I was being sarcastic. The "common knowlege" response turns a lot of people away. It's like saying hey stupid, everyone knows this but you. I see it all the time on other forums. Pisses me off.

SteveOBHave

I like that other people ask these questions :D Cuts down on the mistakes that I'm guaranteed to make when I finally have the spare cash to get into this.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I like that other people ask these questions

Asking the questions isn't the problem, its the answers you get. I'm finding more and more that people are answering questions on something they little to no experience on.

As far as mistakes go, I'm thinking about sharing them all. I've made many and some of which I would class just plain stupidity on my behalf. I'm lucky I haven't lost or damaged an aircraft.

TommyG

I like that other people ask these questions :D Cuts down on the mistakes that I'm guaranteed to make when I finally have the spare cash to get into this.
I love the questions too its what makes this community great, and I would hat to see someone have repeated bad experiences because they thought the question was too dumb to ask.
However the subject line of posts should be relevant to the topic (same as when you reply/forward an email). Can a moderator change the subject line from "Quick Question" to something more meaningful to the greater flitetest community (e.g. "FPV Tx and Radio Rx proximity")

Last edited:

SteveOBHave

Asking the questions isn't the problem, its the answers you get. I'm finding more and more that people are answering questions on something they little to no experience on.

As far as mistakes go, I'm thinking about sharing them all. I've made many and some of which I would class just plain stupidity on my behalf. I'm lucky I haven't lost or damaged an aircraft.

Oh, you and I both, a few of them based around silly things like reversing a channel or forgetting to change the profile on my transmitter.

Nonamerc

Arman
Ok read this:

VTX must not be near the RX. That will cause interference. The TX can be close to the VRX but you wont get the best signal. The last will only have effect if you are going for those 20km flights.

Darren

Sorry for the stupid title I'm used to a private forum where everything is pretty casual but whatever thanks for the replies on the vtx and rx. I was already pretty sure I just wanted to make sure before I did something drastic to my new wing.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Sorry for the stupid title I'm used to a private forum where everything is pretty casual but whatever thanks for the replies on the vtx and rx. I was already pretty sure I just wanted to make sure before I did something drastic to my new wing.

No worries, this is about as casual as it gets. Keep up posted, we all love pictures and I'd really like to see your setup as I'm considering putting up the money to try fpv myself.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Which FPV setup do you want Ak flyer?

I have no idea. I keep hearing about all these different systems, 2.4 vs 5.8, 100 mw vs 900 mw, I read about NSTC vs PAL, I'm a bit interested but I haven't started really looking into it. I'm one of those that would like an all inclusive package available that's pretty much plug n play. I don't need to go twenty miles but it would be fun to have the option of flying around my neighborhood or letting someone else wear the goggles while I fly 3D lol. I have a friend who's got a proven setup that he flies about 5 miles with so I'll probably just get what he's got or buy his old setup. Something with a go pro would be nice. That way I can justify buying a go pro.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I have a friend who's got a proven setup that he flies about 5 miles with so I'll probably just get what he's got or buy his old setup. Something with a go pro would be nice. That way I can justify buying a go pro.

This is the best way, because you can see for sure how it performs in your area etc If you can base your decision on fact and reality rather than theory, that's the way to go.

My experience is only limited to 5.8, which I still haven't achieved its full potential.