Quick Trick in 3mm FB

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Back in August 2016 I posted a thread which I never did a build thread for. See:- https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/aussie-scratch-builds.29243/
IMG_1972.JPG

Well almost 3 years later I have finally got around to doing the build thread. For those who only build in 5mm FB you can enlarge the plans and build a larger version and fit the motor of your choice.

The original Quick Trick was a Balsa 1/2A racer and I had a few motors that could supply the required 100Watts and so I built one, and then another, and then a few more. As it is a racer crashes tended to be fast and merciless and I was getting many back for fuselage repair. I also had a couple surrendered as being too fast and nimble for the recipients! I used the wing panels in another build the "Slick Trick". See:-https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/collaborators-build-2-slick-trick.54111/ . This bird was a good warbird trainer and still provides that service in the hands of its few owners!

Anyway here is a pic of the Bird of this thread ready for Maiden.
DSCF0021.JPG

A Pic of the bird flying
Maiden.jpg

A link to a flight video! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nMCqzZqrGfQTdOLgapMtmU9FgyhaR4bn

My build will be for a far heavier ship than the original with a far heavier motor and larger battery. I am looking for those vertical climbs!

Specifications:
Wing Span: 790 mm
Overall Length: Just under 700 mm
Weight (Empty): Under 200 Grams
Motor: D2826/6 2200kV
ESC: 30A
Servos: 3.7 gram, 3 of.
Control functions: Ailerons, Elevator, Throttle.
Battery: Max recommended is 1300mA 3S 25C

Build:
The pieces all cut out!
1 A Pile of Bits.JPG

The wing panels paired up
2 Wing panels paired.JPG

The wing panel pairs joined with packing tape
3 Panel pairs taped on LE.JPG

The wing LEs beveled
4 LE bevels cut.JPG

The wing panels scored to facilitate easier bending
5 Wing creased and folded.JPG

The wing panels tested for uniformity against each other. Shows the wing span!
6 the wing span.JPG

Spars fitted (Root view)
7 Wing root.JPG

Spars fitted (Tip view)
8 Wing tip.JPG

Wing brace fitted (Paddle pop stick)
9 Paddle pop stick fitted.JPG

Wings joined
10 Wing joined.JPG

Fuselage folded and glued
11 Fuselage folded.JPG

Tail feathers attached
12 Tail fitted.JPG

Wing joint taped and the wing test fitted in the fuselage
Wing taped and test fitted.JPG

Servo lead access hole cut
14 hole for servo leds.JPG

Access door cut in wing upper surface and a 3.7 gram servo in position
15 Door for servo.JPG

Servo door closed
16 servo door closed.JPG

Rx located under the wing LE
17 servo under wing LE.JPG

Raw wing end cap fitted, (can be almost any shape) cut from scrap FB.
18 wing end cap - Winglet.JPG

Wing end cap shaped to suit wing tip profile.
19 end cap shaped.JPG

Elevator servo fitted and pushrod run through the rear of the fuselage
20 Elevator servo fitted.JPG

Fuselage rear deck fitted
21 Rear deck fitted.JPG

Fuselage deck centre section fitted
22 Centre deck fitted.JPG

Wing LE support pieces for the wing
23 wing reinforcements.JPG

THe hatch and forward deck piece
24 Hatch and forward deck piece.JPG

The plywood motor mount marked out
25 Motor mount.JPG

Motor mount piece with ventilation holes cut out
26 motor mount ventilation.JPG

The motor mount locating pieces added, (made from scrap FB).
27 motor support pieces.JPG

The hatch and forward deck fitted
28 front deck fitted.JPG

Motor mount in position, (rear view)
29 motor mount in position rear view.JPG

Motor mount in position, (Front view)
30 Motor mount in position front view.JPG

Aileron horn and pushrod fitted, (typical).
31 Aileron servo.JPG

Elevator control horn and pushrod fitted
32 Elevator control horn.JPG

Settings:
Ailerons: Throw +/- 4mm (caution this is a lot when going fast)
Expo: 40%
Elevator: Throw +/- 4mm (caution this is a lot when going fast)
Expo: 40%
If setting dual rate make low rate 80% of high rate.

Maiden video:
Post repair maiden, ( No camera for maiden, :rolleyes:threw a blade on second flight and no real flight time. lost blade caused sever imbalance and it destroyed the firewall) https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nMCqzZqrGfQTdOLgapMtmU9FgyhaR4bn

Have fun!

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The build so far was for the original version with a rather small motor and as I will be using a heavier motor and larger battery I will continue the build on a second post where I shorten the fuselage nose to accommodate the ESC, 1300 3S battery and the D2826/6 2200kV motor.

The nose shortened by 25mm and the sides angled inwards slightly after the motor mount support pieces were added.
33 shortened Nose.JPG

Motor and mount fitted with about 1 degree right thrust and 1 degree down thrust angles
34 Firewall refitted.JPG
Forward deck and shortened hatch added
35 Revised hatch and nose.JPG

ESC located to the side and secured with velcro
36 ESC Placement.JPG

Battery in position
39 Battery position.JPG

Plane completed. Ready to seal and paint
40 Ready to seal and paint.JPG

Well the build is finished and it has already flown and thrown a blade on a prop which lead to an emergency but controlled landing.

What a beast! It does fly so fast on half throttle and full throttle sees it capable of unlimited vertical, (well at least until it is out of sight)! Full throttle in level flight sees it passing the local EDFs with ease! Almost too fast for me!

The video when available will be posted on the first post of this thread.

I hope you enjoyed the journey!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Wow @Hai-Lee that's one quick son of a gun. I still need to build mine :), it's on my long list of builds :). Hopefully will start it in the next few days.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Wow @Hai-Lee that's one quick son of a gun. I still need to build mine :), it's on my long list of builds :). Hopefully will start it in the next few days.
It can be quick when setup with a big and fast motor, ("F: pack or more), and can Putt around on an "A" pack setup. It can glide rather well and always remains quite maneuverable.

As you know the build is quite simple apart from the twin spar wing which is required for the high speed, high "G" maneuvers. It was all designed to be minimalist in the extreme, (apart from the electrics of course).

Just one requirement really, for the high speed version EXPO is definitely mandatory at full throttle because without it you can perform rapid and violent maneuvers with the slightest of stick movements!

Not that the video shows it very well, if at all, but vertical climbs are rapid and continuous until out of sight. You could look at the way it builds and flies and use the info to mod the Tedge to help get it sorted out!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Hai-Lee - we are lucky her to be able to freely get 3mm, 5/6mm, and 12mm FB here in NZ - I found the 3mm impossible to get the card off, but for this baby, I am guessing there is no need to do that!
Actually it is really needed! The wings can be held by the tip, (downwards pressure), and 2 inches in from the tip, (upwards pressure), and support the entire weight without any distortion or movement.

When doing a high speed loop the "G" forces can be incredible!

Actually I find the 3mm to be of superior strength when used in building FT type designs! About half of my builds and designs are now in 3mm.

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
It can be quick when setup with a big and fast motor, ("F: pack or more), and can Putt around on an "A" pack setup. It can glide rather well and always remains quite maneuverable.

As you know the build is quite simple apart from the twin spar wing which is required for the high speed, high "G" maneuvers. It was all designed to be minimalist in the extreme, (apart from the electrics of course).

Just one requirement really, for the high speed version EXPO is definitely mandatory at full throttle because without it you can perform rapid and violent maneuvers with the slightest of stick movements!

Not that the video shows it very well, if at all, but vertical climbs are rapid and continuous until out of sight. You could look at the way it builds and flies and use the info to mod the Tedge to help get it sorted out!

Have fun!
I know! I know that’s why you suggested that I build it and I will very soon. I am sure it will help me out with the Tedge build.