R.C. movie planes and aircraft.

Beech/run24

What movie-based aircraft would you like to see as an r.c. model?
It could be from a sci-fi show, such as the Klingon starships from Star Trek: Into Darkness, or real life like the Expendables' Grumman Goose.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
It could be from a sci-fi show, such as the Klingon starships from Star Trek: Into Darkness, or real life like the Expendables' Grumman Goose.

Have you seen the current 2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge!

A lot of tv, movie, sci-fi, and otherwise planes are being designed and built as we speak (well, thought seriously about anyway). Why not join in the fun and build your favorite, which is?

DamoRC

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
There is one I have seen in a "B" grade movie but I cannot remember its name or even the genre any more. But I found a link to the plane used in the movie so here is my request/suggestion. A great project for those EDF aficionados!

https://writing.wikinut.com/img/168bp3fu2zzr-l6q/http:-www.teckler.com-en-OMG-Optica-105887

Have fun!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Not exactly a movie, and Localfiend is already working on it, but I am a massive fan of the Hughes P-21J Devastator from Crimson Skies. I absolutely love that game. It's a shame it will likely never be resurrected.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just had a thought after seeing the bedknobs n broom sricks thread.

What about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Im gonna search to see if that has been successfully done in rc.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I just had a thought after seeing the bedknobs n broom sricks thread.

What about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Im gonna search to see if that has been successfully done in rc.

I think it's been done a number of times. Late last year I considered doing a "reboot" because 2018 is the films 50th anniversary and thought it would be cool to do a 2018 version. In the original book (and car it was based on) there was a link to the Mercedes marque so I thought you could use a modern Mercedes concept car like this one.

10-Mercedes-Benz-Design-Vision-Mercedes-Maybach-6-1280x710-1280x710.jpg

But having mulled over it for a while, what you would end up with is a flying car and no obvious link to the original Car / Film, so I dropped the idea.

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
This one should be easy to do!!! Scaramanga's flying car, The man with the golden gun.
View attachment 114035

Gonna have to report you for this one - posting irresistible planes to tempt the weak.

Must...

not...

try...

to...

find....

three-view.

Okay - couldn't find one but in the 10 minutes of my life that I am not getting back now (thanks @CarolineTyler ) I learned that the guy who designed this plane for the Bond movie also designed the planes for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - John Stears

DamoRC

Grognard

This may sound weird, but hear me out. In the original Flight of the Phoenix the one-off aircraft built off the parts of the Flying Boxcar:

600px-Fairchild_C-119B_of_the_314th_Troop_Carrier_Group_in_flight%2C_1952_%28021001-O-9999G-016%29.jpg

Was this strange looking craft:
The Tallmantz Phoenix P-1

Phoenix_P-1_%28flying%29.jpg

But here's the rest of the story. During the filming of the flying sequences the pilot attempted a touch and go, crashing the ship and killing him.

That pilot, Paul Mantz, was a good friend of my father's. Who was a commercial pilot himself at that time. We lived in Garden Grove CA, and I remember my father going to Paul's funeral, although he didn't take me along.

So I'd love to see any of those aircraft realized as RC flyers.

quorneng

Master member
Just a point of accuracy but the Tallmantz Pheonix P-1 was not built from Boxcar parts although the non flying film set Pheonix was.
The P1 was quite a bit smaller and used Beechcraft C45 wings and a North American T-6 engine of 600 hp whereas the C82 Packet from which the Pheonix was constructed in the film used PW R2800 engines of 2800 hp each.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Not exactly a movie, and Localfiend is already working on it, but I am a massive fan of the Hughes P-21J Devastator from Crimson Skies. I absolutely love that game. It's a shame it will likely never be resurrected.

Crimson Skies was an absolute blast...I've been looking at trying to build the Bloodhawk (which would have to be landed inverted because of the rudder being below, not above; that'd be some skill!) and the Curtiss-Wright J2 Fury, which I think would be buildable, but I'm not sure whether I'd build it with elevons or an elevator and ailerons. The actual plans call for rudders on each wingtip, which could be finagled into 1 channel on the servo and long pushrods through the wing, but that'd be a LONG run.

Grognard

Just a point of accuracy but the Tallmantz Pheonix P-1 was not built from Boxcar parts although the non flying film set Pheonix was.
The P1 was quite a bit smaller and used Beechcraft C45 wings and a North American T-6 engine of 600 hp whereas the C82 Packet from which the Pheonix was constructed in the film used PW R2800 engines of 2800 hp each.
Good point. I was saying from the POV of the movie they chopped up the cargo plane to make their escape vehicle. Thanks for clarifying that the actual Tallmantz Phoenix P-1 was a purpose-built aircraft and certainly wasn't built from the plane in the movie.

We might also point out that the actors didn't build or fly any of these. Although Jimmy Stewart was a pilot and did fly during and after WWII for the U.S. Air Force, originally the Army Air Corp.