R/C oppertunities

UltraMicro

I am in highschool and have enjoyed building, fpving, and flying planes for about 3 yrs now. I realized that this characteristic would probably better my chances in getting into a good college so I would like to expand on it. Well, my main question I wanted to ask was, are there any R/C plane opportunities that I could participate in that would really show up on something like a college app? I find that I am better at things I like.

MrClean

Probably is, but I know a dude that having FPV experience doesn't hurt with. He does intelligence with the air force. Hard to get shot at when you're flying drones from North Dakota.

g828

Stickman
Hello Ultra Micro,
You can put your hobby on your resume. Also, the college essays are usually somewhat broad, so you can definitely incorporate your hobby into most of the essays. You can also make a portfolio of all your experiences in RC and send it to colleges that want it (note that not all colleges want extra material).

Oh and also this year, for high school, Science Olympiad now has a competition of rubber launched gliders. It should be quite fun. :)

Last edited:

earthsciteach

UtraMicro - Do you know what you want to major in, yet? If it is a field somehow related to the hobby, you can discuss how the hobby has led you to that area of study. More importantly, relate how your experiences in the hobby, given further knowledge and refinement through college, may translate into a career.

For example, you could discuss fpv, OSD systems, GPS, etc in relation to your desire to work in the area of on-board flight systems. Anything concrete that you can point to and shows you have a focus will be helpful.

g828-Do you participate in Science Olympiad? I've coached teams for the last 4 years at my school district in PA. We've done quite well and finished 1st overall in our region and 6th at states. Only 4 spots from nationals! We think we may have a shot this year.

PaulT

Mentor
My son took a tour through Rice University in Houston and was very impressed with the Smalley Institute.
They are leading edge in nanotechnology and have a robotics research facility.
This might be his next step.
Your experience is very valid and you should use it.

g828

Stickman
g828-Do you participate in Science Olympiad? I've coached teams for the last 4 years at my school district in PA. We've done quite well and finished 1st overall in our region and 6th at states. Only 4 spots from nationals! We think we may have a shot this year.

Yup, our school participates, we never actually have a full team though and never went past region.
We had fun doing the competitions though... always a plus :).