JungleShot.jpg

Full Res, click Plus

workBench1.jpg

An Imagined High Speed Racer

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Cyber, what imaging software did you use? The second picture is awesome! I'm impressed with the reflections in the chrome.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
It was Sketchup for the modeling and Indigo for the render with some minor touchup with Photoshop.

Indigo is a non-biased renderer. It's more difficult than a biased engine and it takes quite a bit longer to render, but you can achieve 100% photo realism if you spend enough time with it. The render above was a pretty quick burn with minimal tweaking.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I doubt I'll build it. I've always wanted to get into form molding carbon fiber, but it's all I can do to find the time to build simple quads and tricopters with some bling.

Although I do have a very sweet treat coming soon if I can match some free time with a foggy night. :rolleyes: I just recently got a decent low-light camera. MUCH more impressive in heavy fog.

Mustang7302

Using LIDAR to maintain altitude? Any information on the hardware/controller?

Pretty cool video, and would even cooler int he fog :).

Liemavick

Mentor
After admiring the design I wonder if the motors would overheat mounted the way they are. Perhaps some slits in the landing gear so they can breath better? I know you said you probably arent going to attempt to build it, but should the day come something to think about. :)

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
After admiring the design I wonder if the motors would overheat mounted the way they are. Perhaps some slits in the landing gear so they can breath better? I know you said you probably arent going to attempt to build it, but should the day come something to think about. :)

My idea was to use conduction/(heat sink) to the skin of the pod, but I admit that would greatly complicate the actual build and would probably be insufficient, even for 3 or 4 minutes of flying. So, you're right, sacrificing a tiny amount of drag for a few 1mm holes on the trailing edge, low pressure area of the pod and cones would be ok.

One ingenious suggestion I was given was to use 600 or 700 series symmetrical carbon fiber heli blades for the booms. He was right, they have almost exactly the same chord, very much around a NACA 0010 foil, and it would save untold hours of fabrication.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
NOW I know what to use my supply of old big Estes Rocket Balsa Nosecones for (and the big plastic easter eggs I have seen at Dollar General). :cool:

Thurmond

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Cool, absolutely. And something like these that I'm sure I could find matching the diameter of the motors, along with the heli blades would have almost everything "off the shelf".

However, I'm thinking full throttle would put horizontal flight over 100mph, and I'm not sure my skillset is there yet.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Here's a couple views of a high speed EDF quad designed to fly with the z-axis closely aligned with the direction of travel for most of its flight.

I fully realize ESCs capable of finely controlling motors spinning at 40K+ are iffy, even for KISS.

It has radial heatsinks on the trailing surface of the main frame for internal ESC cooling and mirrored "windows" on the leading nose of the frame for FPV video. The antenna sticks out of the trailing tip.

My guesstimate it would fly in the 190-220mph range.

Detail

Last edited: