Radial 2218B motor

Mattelson

Hi Guys,
My dads scratch building the spitfire.
88122797-EA05-4FAD-B43C-62BA7B9EED86.jpeg

He’s just received the ‘power pack c’ and as it’s his first time building and both of us being new to this he wanted to check the motor was built correctly, looking online it doesn’t show how it should be.
E60161E2-14E7-4246-AB2D-089877016477.jpeg
does this look correct?
He thinks that the prop still spins relatively freely even though the nut is fairly tight. Does the nut need tightening more?
Any help is appreciated!
Cheers

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Tighten the nut as much as possible, the prop should not be able to spin without the entire motor spinning. Other than that, looks good and good luck on the maiden.

Mattelson

Thanks mate!
I had a maiden with my f22 and didn’t realise I set up the elavons backwards! did not end well! Absolute beginner mistake but plane in tact so when the storms gone both the planes will be out!

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I just learned the hard way to double check your prop is on super tight. Went to hand launch, prop spun on the shaft, Scout went nose first into the ground.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hi Guys,
My dads scratch building the spitfire.
View attachment 157527
He’s just received the ‘power pack c’ and as it’s his first time building and both of us being new to this he wanted to check the motor was built correctly, looking online it doesn’t show how it should be.
View attachment 157526 does this look correct?
He thinks that the prop still spins relatively freely even though the nut is fairly tight. Does the nut need tightening more?
Any help is appreciated!
Cheers
Good looking spitfire! I have that same motor and the prop nut is pretty hard to get on the first time. What I recommend doing is after removing the prop, hole the motor tight and use your prop tightening tool to tighten the nut all the way in. Then take the bit off. There is some rubber on the nut that makes it hard to turn, so by doing that, it’ll loosen it up and make it easier to get the nut on when the prop is on. The prop should never be able to move freely when the nut is on. The spitfire is an awesome plane! Good luck!