Radian glider over the Isle of Wight coastline

FDS

Elite member
Really nice, thanks for sharing that. Great to see Catherine’s Point from a new angle. There’s some amazing flying spots there I should think, when the wind stops!

Really nice, thanks for sharing that. Great to see Catherine’s Point from a new angle. There’s some amazing flying spots there I should think, when the wind stops!
Yes, ...its just waiting for those days when the weather is kind and we have the free time.... But lucky to live here I know.

FDS

Elite member
I live in South Devon and am a grockle on the island every year. We always stay in west Wight, it’s my favourite part of the island. Finding time to enjoy our amazing coastline is always the problem.

I live in South Devon and am a grockle on the island every year. We always stay in west Wight, it’s my favourite part of the island. Finding time to enjoy our amazing coastline is always the problem.
"Finding the time".... totally agree. But how rewarding when we have those days when everything falls into place.
Culver Down (as in the film) is on the far eastern tip of the Island, only 23 miles away from the most westerly point... but you could be easily be confused since both points have high chalk cliffs, the west of course having the famous "Needles" rock formation.

I live on the island we are very lucky with flying spots over here didn't realise there was more of us on here
I guess it's one of those hobbies where we just fit it in weather permitting, wind direction permitting, time permitting.... not a team sport, but no doubt more fun to fly in company. We do have great flying spots - think I've only touched the surface. ...'Might yet meet up sometime.

Hyper46havoc

I guess it's one of those hobbies where we just fit it in weather permitting, wind direction permitting, time permitting.... not a team sport, but no doubt more fun to fly in company. We do have great flying spots - think I've only touched the surface. ...'Might yet meet up sometime.
I don't fly gliders only been flying 6months or so I'm always around on here do you have any powered planes?

Have you done scratchells bay that always looks a good one in the pictures I see. I'm no climber
No I haven't. Did see some video a while back of a guy flying his Radian off the cliffs there.... 'still waiting to get the nerve.
I think some nice ground to air filming along the Compton bay area coastline could be really nice as a glider soars low back and forth there...or a Spitfire?

Hyper46havoc

Yes flying over Compton bay would give some nice shots. I managed to get 3 batteries through the spitfire today. Do you have your foamboard all ready? Or a plan on where you will get it?

Change of plan.... I've actually just today started making the 'Photon' motor glider from Experimental Airlines. I had some sheets of foamboard left over - I remember buying them through Amazon I think about £25 for 10 sheets some while ago.
Where do you fly?

IanSR

Very nice Paul, we were on the island last August and found a couple of lovely spots to fly down on the beech where we were staying, practically empty all day, I only had the spark and a tiny trainer, will be bring better stuff back this year, such a lovely place to fly :)

Reactions: FDS

Hyper46havoc

Change of plan.... I've actually just today started making the 'Photon' motor glider from Experimental Airlines. I had some sheets of foamboard left over - I remember buying them through Amazon I think about £25 for 10 sheets some while ago.
Where do you fly?
I normally fly on a farm at afton I no the manager pretty well so I have lots of fields but any field will do I was at bouldnor wreck today near yarmouth and could of easily of flown there. I'm very tempted to get out Compton way with the drone and spit