Radical RC Dual Transmitter Case

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Soooo... now yer busy twisting paracord is it a good time to to toss in an idea I have for my own radio box build?

Everyone has fancy hardware and shiny stuffs to decorate with. I am going the opposite direction with no visible hinges, locks or decoration by integrating a few simple puzzle box mechanisms.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Soooo... now yer busy twisting paracord is it a good time to to toss in an idea I have for my own radio box build?

Everyone has fancy hardware and shiny stuffs to decorate with. I am going the opposite direction with no visible hinges, locks or decoration by integrating a few simple puzzle box mechanisms.

That would be very cool! I'll show some closer pictures of the latching mechanism on this one as it's very clever.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I forgot to take pictures of the latch before I put another coat of poly on, but will get some tomorrow. This is poly coat number 5 now, with a couple 400 grit sanding sessions, and it's getting deep and smooth. This will be the last one unless it has any runs - I might have been a little heavy with it. :cautious:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
First let's take a closer look at the latches here. From the outside they are just two buttons recessed a little bit into the top.

20190308_161325-1024x576.jpg

To open the lid, push both latches in at the same time and it lifts right up. I'm using one hand on the phone to take the pic, so just imagine that's what is going on here. :p

20190308_161331-1024x576.jpg

And here's how it works. There is a magnet in this latch piece that is attracted to a matching magnet in the lid. The latch is a T shaped piece that isn't glued in and is able to flop back and forth enough to clear the edge of the lid. When the lid closes, the magnets are close enough to each other than it pulls the latch forward and locks the lid.

But to be even more clever, there are two tiny magnets that are arranged to repel each other right where my finger is pointing - one in the latch plate and one in the side of the bottom part of the case. These tiny magnets keep the latches pushed back at this angle until the big magnets get close to each other and over power the tiny ones, pulling it closed.

20190308_161350-1024x576.jpg

Here's a side pic showing how the latch is normally leaning back. Those two little square nubs on the back lower part of the latch prevent the latch piece from falling down into the slot in the side of the case since the latch isn't glued in. Pretty clever, right?

20190308_161408-1024x576.jpg

OK, time to work on the upholstery work. First, let's test out some foam craft glue - not sure where my 3M 77 spray adhesive can went. Results after 15 minutes are great adhesion on the foam, but the felt ended up funny with a hard glue surface under it.

20190308_164923-1024x576.jpg

One final fitting of all the foam pieces to make sure it's all where it needs to be. I used T pins to hold the pieces together so I could pull the assemblies out and keep them aligned.

20190308_161436-1024x576.jpg

The Tacky Craft Glue worked just fine to hold together all the foam blocks.

20190308_163221-1024x576.jpg

And I found an almost empty can of 3M 77 spray adhesive - enough to do the first piece of felt! Process was to cut an oversized felt piece and push and massage it into place to make sure it fits nicely. Then pull off the felt and spray the 3M 77 on the foam, and roll the felt back into place starting at one end and massaging it into the foam to follow the cutout shapes. Then I squeezed it back into the box and used a popsicle stick to help the felt tuck into the sides nice and evenly.

20190308_164644-1024x576.jpg

And looky - the radio fits nice and snug!

20190308_164704-1024x576.jpg

But the can of 3M 77 is empty, so it's off to the hardware store after dinner. :D

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yep. Pretty happy with how this turned out.
20190308_221013-1024x576.jpg

All the foam is in - she's done!! :D:D

20190308_223138-1024x576.jpg

Two radios, neck strap, wall chargers for both radios, two mini cameras, binder plugs, business cards, a battery checker, extra stick on weights, rubber bands, zip ties, and a trainer cable.

It's all in there right now - and there is still more room. :D:D

20190308_224719-576x1024.jpg

Time for a couple stickers on the top. Eventually going for a vintage travel case look.

20190308_230139-1024x576.jpg

So final words... would I recommend this for a first time builder? Not if you're easily frustrated. The instructions are a puzzle themselves.

I messed up the hinge assembly - was able to recover from the mistake, but I know it's not perfect. I also should have used the "tall" option on the center bottom box - the instructions said for 2.4 ghz radios the short option was necessary, but that was incorrect for these two radios. Not something I can change now, but if I ever give this to someone who flys Spektrum it'll work out nicely. Of course it would need a different set of foam inserts built.

The final product is awesome though - and well worth the time and cost! :cool:

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a second kit if the right excuse to build another one came along. (y)

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Who knew.

Foam folding and hot glue leads to a career in carpentry. Nother needle to stick in the governments eye for messin with our hobby!😎

L Edge

Master member
Would like to know what the orangish hammer is used for? Mine is to get my model into proper scaling when I design.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Who knew.

Foam folding and hot glue leads to a career in carpentry. Nother needle to stick in the governments eye for messin with our hobby!😎

Don't stick it in there too deep - they will make me register my circular saw next! :mad:

Would like to know what the orangish hammer is used for? Mine is to get my model into proper scaling when I design.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

In this case it was holding down a piece of wood that was trying to pop up a little while the glue dried.

I do like your use for it though! :p

Nice work rocky!! It turned out great!!

Thanks! I love it, and so did the guys at the field this morning. I'm pretty sure one guy is going to get a kit and use it for his FrSky QX7 & Xlite combo.

L Edge

Master member
Don't stick it in there too deep - they will make me register my circular saw next! :mad:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

In this case it was holding down a piece of wood that was trying to pop up a little while the glue dried.

I do like your use for it though! :p

Thanks! I love it, and so did the guys at the field this morning. I'm pretty sure one guy is going to get a kit and use it for his FrSky QX7 & Xlite combo.
I was hoping that you would reply the purpose of the hammer is "to hammer in the point that you are trying to get across" for the contest or something like that.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Pssstt... the role of government is to facilitate making us pay for everything.

Thats why the space race is back on. They will get the jump on it all charging for air. Here they can only rent it as we are seeing with the hobby being infected with its greed.

As a gesture of good will we should be making boxes for them.😉😉