Radio Master TX16S & OMP T720 & S720

Bricks

Master member
Just thinking about this I wonder if there is an external module that has the OMP protocol, that would be pretty much a plug and play.

Kveecock

Hey Kveecock,

Thank you for working on this idea / problem. I have only been into rc for about 2 years now. Really still a rookie. ;) I am new to open TX but I am willing to learn. I looked into doing past protocol but read that doing that was not supported. Got scared about going backwards being a rookie.
Well, that’s you and me both as rookies! Although I have flown rc planes in the past, That was only on 3 channel planes and several years ago and the whole multi protocol thing is a complete unknown to me. When I purchased my tx16 I made the salesman bind one of my models as part of the sale as I didn’t- and to a large extent- still don’t have a clue. The reassurances given that YouTube clips will show you everything you need to know ignore the fact that many of them were posted using different versions of the software and, in the case of the OMP planes, the video info is actually out of date.
Returning to the OMP problem, I’m increasingly coming to the conclusion that the only way to do this is going to be by using a satellite receiver plugged into the existing tx board. There are some good threads and videos explaining the process though some of the required parts are not currently in stock. I’ll keep you posted!

alan0043

Just thinking about this I wonder if there is an external module that has the OMP protocol, that would be pretty much a plug and play.

Hi Bricks,

Back in February I emailed Buddy RC about bidding the TX16S to the OMP T720. Their reply was that I would need to add a satellite receiver to the plane to make things work. This can be a little difficult because the way the plane is made. Buddy RC also said that the OMP protocol was for their helicopters. This gets me to think that OMP has two different protocols, one protocol for helicopters and a second protocol for their planes. I could be all wet about that idea. ;)

"You will need an external satellite receiver for the S720. The Radiomaster OMP protocol is for the OMP Helicopters." This quote came from Buddy RC on 02-23-2022

Last edited:

PDR

I won an S720-Sport in a club raffle yesterday. The toy transmitter that came with it is rubbish, so I've bound it to my Horus X10s transmitter. I have a Jumper 4-in-1 multiprotocol module in the external bay. It didn't cover the OMP protocol, but I upgraded it to the latest module software (1.3.3.14) and that allowed me to bind direct - no satellite Rx required. I believe this is essentially the same as loading the same multiprotocol software into a Radiomaster T16 (this is the RF board software, not the OpenTx software).

PDR

alan0043

I won an S720-Sport in a club raffle yesterday. The toy transmitter that came with it is rubbish, so I've bound it to my Horus X10s transmitter. I have a Jumper 4-in-1 multiprotocol module in the external bay. It didn't cover the OMP protocol, but I upgraded it to the latest module software (1.3.3.14) and that allowed me to bind direct - no satellite Rx required. I believe this is essentially the same as loading the same multiprotocol software into a Radiomaster T16 (this is the RF board software, not the OpenTx software).

PDR

Hi PDR,
Thank you for posting some help. I apologize for the late reply. It is nice to hear that you could upgrade to a better transmitter. Do you have an idea of what protocol your Horus X10s transmitter is using ? I have reread your response and it sounds like your Jumper 4 in 1 has the protocol. I still have a lot to learn. Thank you for the help. Just might need to do some research. :)

PDR

The protocol I'm using is the OMP protocol (called "OMP" in the protocol list). It may not be in your current firmware, but if you upgrade the multimodule firmware to the latest version you should then find it's there.

PDR

alan0043

The protocol I'm using is the OMP protocol (called "OMP" in the protocol list). It may not be in your current firmware, but if you upgrade the multimodule firmware to the latest version you should then find it's there.

PDR

Hi Everyone,

Here is a little update on the idea about using a Radiomaster TX 16s with a OMP T720 plane. I still have no luck with binding the two together. I just don't seem to have the smarts for this project. Time to start cutting loses. My transmitter does have OMP protocol in it's list of protocols. This is the version of firmware in my transmitter, V1.3.2.11. This firmware came installed on the radio when I received it. The following video is the video that I followed.

Thank you to everyone willing to help me.

Last edited:

alan0043

PDR

Hi PDR,

I have a question for you. Do you know what the protocol number is for the OMP protocol that you used ? Is it 77 ?

Thank you for any help,
Al

arvindk

Can someone please help to locate the bind button that is supposed tobe on the receiver board ? I have flashed the OMP protocol on the Tx16S and according to the video, you need to push and hold the bind button on the board, but I cannot see it where the video says it is.I am not keen to cut any foam from the fuselage to expose more of the receiver board. It is supposed to be accessible without any such surgery. Has anyone have a picture of the receiver board?

alan0043

Can someone please help to locate the bind button that is supposed tobe on the receiver board ? I have flashed the OMP protocol on the Tx16S and according to the video, you need to push and hold the bind button on the board, but I cannot see it where the video says it is.I am not keen to cut any foam from the fuselage to expose more of the receiver board. It is supposed to be accessible without any such surgery. Has anyone have a picture of the receiver board?

Hi arvindk,

I am sorry that I don't have a picture for you. You will not need to do any surgery to get to the button. The button is white and it's small. The button is on the front of the board and very close to the foam. A magnifying glass can be your best friend. :) You can even take a picture of the board and blow the picture up to see the button. I how this helps.

arvindk

Hi arvindk,

I am sorry that I don't have a picture for you. You will not need to do any surgery to get to the button. The button is white and it's small. The button is on the front of the board and very close to the foam. A magnifying glass can be your best friend. :) You can even take a picture of the board and blow the picture up to see the button. I how this helps.
T%hank you very much for your help. I can just see the white button
Hi arvindk,

Thanks for your help. I can just about see the front edge of the white button. Sadly the red and black wires for the JST connector for the battery are very snugly sitting on top of the button and wedged tightly under white foam. I tried to move them to one side but the red wire is firmly wedged. I am afraid to fiddle too much in case it gets disconnected from the board. That will render the plane useless. Also if I could somehow keep the button pressed, connecting the battery at the same time will need four hands. Right now I am stuck with the original radio but not the TX16S. I might try once more but wonder if other persons like you have developed a technique to do this easily. Thanks again, I will revert if I have success.