Radio reccommendations

ofiesens2

Professional noob
I am trying to figure out what radio system to use if I am to get into all the FT scratch build airplanes. I received the FT Flyer, Nutball, and Delta Speed Build Kits for Christmas, along with a Spektrum rx so I think I will be staying with the Spektrum and OrangeRx brands. I already have a DX4e from my Super Cub RTF, but for all I know you cannot center servos with that thing. Should I use the DX4e or buy a different radio?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Sticking with Spektrum, a decent upgrade from your DX4e would be the DX6i. The DX6i will do pretty much anything you need it to. It was my first radio I got almost four years ago when I got into the hobby and I'm still using it to this day (even on gas powered models).

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Unless you are using the wrong terminology, you can center a servo with any Tx. All centering a servo really is, is to plug in the servo to the Rx, power up your system, and then screw the servo arm onto the servo.

I say keep what you got for now. It's cheaper that way.

rcspaceflight

Although, I don't think you could use your Tx for the Delta. That requires some mixing that I don't think your Tx can do. But if you really want to go cheap, they do make a device that mixes so your Tx doesn't have to.

ofiesens2

Professional noob
Ok, thanks to you both. Rcspaceflight, I'm a beginner and I really don't know what "centering servos" means. The official FliteTest guys have a video on connecting electronics, and they use a specific method involving digital trims with a DX5e.
If you could help me interpret what they mean by "verify", that would be awesome.

ofiesens2

Professional noob
There actually is a switch for delta wing mixing on the DX4e next to the reversing switches, and there is the same thing on the DX5e.

rcspaceflight

I don't know how the trims work on the Dx4. But Josh is just saying that you want to make sure that your trims are centered when you are centering the servo. You don't want the trim to be all the way to the left because if you end up hooking everything up a little off, you can't trim it to the left because the trim is already over all the way. I think Josh was moving the trim all the way in one direction, then the other, and then back to center to make sure that the trim is centered. Its just so the electronics force the servo to the center position so when you add the servo arm, the servo arm is on correctly.

Bolvon72

Mentor
I concur with the others, the DX4e will fly all the swappables and is capable enough until you have built up the scratchbuilding and flying knowledge to decide that you need more, like expo and mixing. The DX5e is not at all different from the DX4e save the extra channel and i still grab it to quickly bind to a new build just to run it up real quick.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Centering the servos is done easy the way rcspaceflight says.
Trim is another thing and it can be done mechanically if you make a U or V on the pushrod end. Tighten or widen a little to trim your rudder surfaces.
An Orange or Spetrum TX has an advantage over 9 T9 or any other radio with a module - MODEL MATCH.
I was out flying with my friends on Xmas Eve. My friend has an expensive 1000$ Futaba and a "fancy" quad with "everything".
Starting with the wrong model setting almost cost him a lot more than the cost of an Orange T6 or Spektrum DX6i transmitter.
Unless you do not want to fly other than DT Foamies in the future - save for a good transmitter - a 6 channel is good for storing 10 different plane setups. a DX7 or 8 will store 20 or 30 model setups.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
An Orange or Spetrum TX has an advantage over 9 T9 or any other radio with a module - MODEL MATCH.

Orange transmitters do not have model match.

Completely agree, though, its an exceptionally valuable feature - if you haven't picked that model's setup, it simply won't bind.

While all *real* programmable spektrum radios have this, it's not entirely unique - I know at least the frsky taranis has it as well (called Receiver Lock), as might any TX running openTx.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Orange transmitters do not have model match. ..

THANK YOU for telling.
Now i will definitively NOT buy or recommend an Orange as a spare TX.

They are lying in the manual.
t6.jpg