Radios

F16V1PER

F16V1PER
This thread is for anyone who is getting into the hobby and is looking for a radio. Post questions here and you should get help, suggestions, links, and stuff like that from other members or me.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I am not looking for a radio, but I'd like if a 72 MHz radio will have interference because of broadcast TV channel 4 (which also uses 72MHz).

VHF LOW 04 66-72 MHz

as stated here and here.

F16V1PER

F16V1PER
Maybe, alot of people still use 72Mhz for FPV because of the long range. So if there is interference it is not enough for it to have an effect like a glitch or any major problems. I also believe that 72Mhz rc radios do not use VHF. You can always go with dragon link which is 406Mhz and uses a UHF system, but that will give you more range that you will erver need (I think it's like a 20 mile range)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I cannot try yet if my receiver gets interference (no battery, no servos yet), but when I turn on the Tx the TV on channel 4 goes really bad. That's why I asked...

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Maybe I should ask like this instead:

Do you still have broadcast channel 4 in USA? Because 72MHz Radios do work good there...

F16V1PER

F16V1PER
Oh that's why. I think in the U.S. we use different frequencies for TV. Then yes you will get inference. But it will be video inference to your rx not controlling signals. So in this case you will get inference but it will only be noticeable at farther distances.The inference that you are going to get are most likely going to be just short glitches. It also depends on how far away you are from the broadcasting station, weather, terrain, and how strong the broadcasting station's signal is. It also could just be your TV rx over reacting because those have a much high sensitivity and a more powerful antenna. Your plane rx may not even pick up the tv's signal because it is not powerful enough.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I would have a DX6i if Spektrum rx's wouldn't brown out.

The current versions of DSM receivers work down to 3,5 volts and some of them works fine with 1 cell lipo!

Are there any 2,4 receivers on the market which dont "brown out" if they dont get any power?

Hey all, I have a dx6i also, I am looking for radio number 2. Considering futaba and airtronics, any thoughts or suggestions. I am looking for more model memory and more channels.
Thanks!

Tim Hoyer

Watch This!!!!!
I love my DX8! NEVER had a faliure that wasn't directly my fault. Love the feel and LOVE the 2.4Ghz, no more yelling "WHAT CHANNEL YOU ON!!!)

Airwolf

Are there any 2,4 receivers on the market which dont "brown out" if they dont get any power?

HiTec's AFHSS Optima receivers are almost "bulletproof" if it comes to brown-outs:

1. Optima receivers in "normal mode" rebind almost immediately

2. Optima receivers feature "SPC" port - Supplementary Power Connector where you can connect any 4.8-35 V power source - it feeds receiver only (it won't feed power to servos) which means you basically don't have to worry about voltage drops (and brown-outs).

WONDERFUL thing about it is: if your Tx supports telemetry (like Aurora 9 does) - you can monitor the voltage on your receiver. It means that with a simple trick of connecting SPC port directly to your main battery not only you have brown-out proof system, but also you can monitor battery voltage in the real time, and you can set alarm if voltage drops below preset level (if your transmitter doesn't support telemetry - you can always set this alarm in Spectra module too)...

F16V1PER

F16V1PER
Sorry for the late reply everyone, I did not see the number of pages. Any ways I use a Spektrum DX5e with an AR500, I think it's just the AR500 cause it is really weird. One time it took 3 mins to bind. Some times it doesn't bind at all and I have to re-bind it even though I already have binded it before several times

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
Sorry for the late reply everyone, I did not see the number of pages. Any ways I use a Spektrum DX5e with an AR500, I think it's just the AR500 cause it is really weird. One time it took 3 mins to bind. Some times it doesn't bind at all and I have to re-bind it even though I already have binded it before several times
Probably unique to the DX5e. I've had two radios, including an E-Flite 5ch DSM(LP5DSM, from CX2), and all of them have bound with no problem--and quick too. I've heard several complaints about the DX5e....