Radios

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
My son's 2nd DX5e is in the shop. It's of the DSM2 flavor, not DSMX. Regardless, if we're allowed the option, I want to trade up for a DX6i since there seems to be so many satisfied customers there. We've had a series of brown outs and as of late, failure to bind. I'll keep y'all posted.

ParkeFlyer

I have to say I absolutely love my Turnigy 9x (v2). I modified it slightly with a back-light for the display, and hooked up a LiPo battery for juice. This thing feels great in the hands... very solid, and I have had no performance issues to speak of. I've been using it with the FlySky six channel Rx's without a glitch, and they are super easy/fast to bind. Pretty easy programming once you get your head around the logic. The range seems really good... I've flown planes until I could barely see them and never lost control. That said, I wish there was a dual antennae option in the receivers for piece of mind (and future FPV).

Anyone else had a good or bad experience with the Turnigy 9x?

F16V1PER

F16V1PER
I have to say I absolutely love my Turnigy 9x (v2). I modified it slightly with a back-light for the display, and hooked up a LiPo battery for juice. This thing feels great in the hands... very solid, and I have had no performance issues to speak of. I've been using it with the FlySky six channel Rx's without a glitch, and they are super easy/fast to bind. Pretty easy programming once you get your head around the logic. The range seems really good... I've flown planes until I could barely see them and never lost control. That said, I wish there was a dual antennae option in the receivers for piece of mind (and future FPV).

Anyone else had a good or bad experience with the Turnigy 9x?
Speaking of the Turnigy 9x a bunch of people have them at my club. I'm going to order one soon.

Prowler901

I have the Fly Sky 9x version (same radio). I'm really impressed with it. I've added a back light, and a programming card. I've loaded the er9x firmware on to mine, and I really love it. It is very easy to program, and very versatile. I can even program in from my PC. Great stuff!

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
I have the turnigy 9x(v2) its not in a plane yet but I have fired it up and got my head around the programming and for the
money its fantastic feels good in the hand and looks ok

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'm another 9x convert. Unbelievably good radio for the money. The standard 8 channel rx is a little on the big side, but as someone mentioned above, it'll bind to any smaller rx from the same manufacturer. I've also added a backlight. My only gripe is how much power it uses. I've yet to add a lipo into the mix, but it's on the cards for my next HK purchase...

ParkeFlyer

I've yet to add a lipo into the mix, but it's on the cards for my next HK purchase...

Definitely put a Lipo in it, and actually I would suggest putting a LiFe in it. I use a Zippy made for transmitters with a low C rating and it fits nicely into the 9x. Here. Supposedly the transmitter runs internally at 5 volts, so again the 3cell LiFe is a better match with less heat generated than a 3cell lipo. I charge it every few weeks, at most.

You can use the plug from the AA cage. Take special note to where the black and red wires go. For some weird reason they use a 3 prong plug (same as a 2 cell balance plug) for only two wires... meaning there is room for error.

The only issue I have encountered, which is minor, is that the 9x firmware will set off a low voltage warning. It's thinking that the AA pack is low, but in reality you have plenty of charge in the LiFe. (This is probably the main reason I charge it every few weeks instead of every few months!) The third party firmware allows you to adjust this. (The alarm has only gone off once on me, so this really minor)

F16V1PER

F16V1PER
Looks like I should explore the turnigy option. Does anyone know what the range is for these radios- is it reasonable?

it has over 3000ft range, plenty for line-of-sight flying but not good for long range fpv. but if your doing long range fpv you might as well get Dragon Link

Airwolf

From what I've read it is much better (I'm actually considering replacing my HiTec Spectra module with FrSky for FPV flying). AFHSS is great, but FrSky has some useful features Spectra module doesn't have (you can use external antennae and/or signal amplifier, telemetry feedback includes signal strenght info etc). It seems it's good even up to 4500 m in optimal conditions with directional antenna and even up to 10 km with with signal strength amplifier.

FrSky's technology is actually one of the leading 2,4 GHz technologies on the market right now (competing with AFHSS, FASST, DSMX and DMSS). It's used as a reference technology in Tx reviews... Pretty strange having in mind it's chineese and dirt cheap, huh? ;]

Last edited:

Airwolf

DSM2 is old technology which picks 2 channels during binding and sticks to them whole time - it may be problematic in areas where there's a lots of "smog" on the 2,4 GHz frequency (and nowadays - more and more electronic things are using it - from other RC models, through phones, wireless cameras, home WiFi networks etc). So it may be prone to jamming where this frequency is crowded.

DSMX is spread spectrum technology - it constantly shifts through many (X) number of channels on this frequency so it's harder to jam it.

DMSS is pretty much the same thing as DSMX (it doesn't mean it's compatible with it though) but marketed by JR.

PS.: As far as I know older Spektrum transmitters like DX7 can be upgraded to DMSX by firmware upgrade (but Spektrum want some money for it, update for DX8 is free)... DSMX Tx is backwards compatible with DSM2 Rxs and DSM2 Tx is compatible with DSMX Rxs (but of course you need DSMX Tx and Rx to take advantage of this new technology).

Last edited:

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
I am a newbie and a few months ago, I got the $23/25 HobbyKing HK-T6A!! 6 Channels and works good! Never used a high end radio before and compared to what I got with my (toy RC cars and stuff), this is a great radio! The computer programming ability allows endless adjustments

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
If you want something higher end/quality (or u dont trust HK....which is rare) than the HK-T6A, I'd suggest the $100 Tactic 2.4Ghz (I think FASST) radio from towerhobbies.