RamyRC style Lockheed Starliner

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I have been wanting to do a balsa style build in foam board for a while, very much in line with how RamyRC builds his big airliners. IE mostly thin wall foam construction and fiberglass over the top. Personally most airliners dont do anything for me but the Connie has always caught my attention so i figured i would use it as my first attempt at this type of build.

Specifically i am going to be copying the 1649 Starliner
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_L-1649_Starliner
1590077006863.png

As usuall i found some older balsa plans online and imported it into inkscape and started scaling it up. I ended up with about 81" wingspan, 61" nose to tail.
1590077140569.png

I am not looking to make a 100% scale plane. Just something that flies and is easily identifiable as a Starliner. Actually the main focus of this build is to get thru the build process, but still hopefully have something flyable at the end.
Still deciding on weather or not to have 4 or 2 motors.

Also this is being worked on around 2 or 3 other projects so it will not be done quick.

Here's how the v1 plans look laid out on the floor:
IMG_20200519_185921 (Large).jpg

If you dont know what i mean by "ramyrc" style, here is a good example of one of his older builds:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have been wanting to do a balsa style build in foam board for a while, very much in line with how RamyRC builds his big airliners. IE mostly thin wall foam construction and fiberglass over the top. Personally most airliners dont do anything for me but the Connie has always caught my attention so i figured i would use it as my first attempt at this type of build.

Specifically i am going to be copying the 1649 Starliner
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_L-1649_Starliner
View attachment 169554

As usuall i found some older balsa plans online and imported it into inkscape and started scaling it up. I ended up with about 81" wingspan, 61" nose to tail.
View attachment 169555

I am not looking to make a 100% scale plane. Just something that flies and is easily identifiable as a Starliner. Actually the main focus of this build is to get thru the build process, but still hopefully have something flyable at the end.
Still deciding on weather or not to have 4 or 2 motors.

Also this is being worked on around 2 or 3 other projects so it will not be done quick.

Here's how the v1 plans look laid out on the floor:
View attachment 169556

If you dont know what i mean by "ramyrc" style, here is a good example of one of his older builds:
That's cool i watch his vids as well, subbed awhile ago. The Connie is a very unique profile and so recognizable. It is an ambitious build for this guy but i will be following for sure (y)

thenated0g

Mentor
You might take a look at AMA's magazine, they had plans for a foamy super constellation not too long ago

http://modelaviation.com/comment/reply/1907#comment-form
That is a great find thank! Reading it now

Thanks @Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes for the pics. Adding them all to my google drive for later.

I purchased Devwing Foam 2 yesterday and started working on the horizontal stabilizer as it will be solid hot wire cut foam and i need a project to teach myself the program. I have been getting by barely with free software for my 4 axis hot wire cutter and its just been giving me trouble. Within like an hour of watching a tutorial i had more done on this than months of messing around with other software.
IMG_20200521_165908 (Large).jpg

The Wing and Fuselage will be built hollow like the previous pics and posts.

thenated0g

Mentor
I built my own DIY from mdf and drawer slides. Right now i am about to setup a second one as part of some product testing for a fellow hobbyist that wants to make and sell some kits. Its 3d printed parts and some purchased parts. Cool thing is the electronics came out to like $66 from amazon. I will be posting more info once i get it setup and start doing stuff on it.
2020-05-21 (1).png 2020-05-21.png

I still do hand cutting using the pivot point method just as i enjoy it. I see them as two different hobbies.
Heres my build thread for the DIY one:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/rc-keith-cnc-hot-wire-build-log.53534/