Range and Weight on multirotors

João Marcos

Hello everyone, I want to build my own quad or hexa, but I have some questions about it, could use some help.

I need to go far, far away from me, about 1km, so I need a reciever that make it or is all about the transmitter?
Also goes to the fpv, how far can I go?

About weight lifting, I need to be a little better than the dji phantom 2.

If you guys have an article here, or know a link that lists the specs I need or even the parts I'll be really greatfull :D

Thank you!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
With good antennas and a well thought out flight plan 1km on 2.4ghz control and 5.8ghz video should be realatively doable. Big rotors and low Kv motors will give you the time to get there and back and the lifting ability in the range you're talking about. Figure 12" - 14" rotors with <1000kv motors to ballpark. Spending some time with ecalc will get you more precise answers - it's an iterative process where you'll want to change various variables to find what works for you so it's best to do it yourself.

440mhz LRS would probably be easier - if it's legal for you - in many areas you'll need to be licensed.

But it also depends on your terrain. Around me it's pretty much patches of no more than 10' tall scrub with scattered small trees but mostly less than 1' tall ground cover where it exists. So 5.8's lack of penetration isn't a big deal. On 200mw I've gone over .5k and just started to get some breakup - and that's with cheap rather poorly made antennas. But I don't have to worry about trees and I expect to change frequencies before trying to fly through the canyons that are calling to me. Going to have to do some tests to see what works best in those conditions. They're too narrow to drive a full size truck through, but a Jeep (even our friends large Jeep Commando) will get through if you don't mind a few new scratches. I'm dying to fly through them but haven't worked up the guts to see if I've worked up the skills :)

Better antennas and design for RF will provide more reliability and performance with or without higher powered transmitters. 1km is reasonable but will take some careful planning. The flight I went more than .5k out I didn't make it back because I didn't realize I was going with the wind and it was taking a lot more power to get back home. I didn't mean to go .5k, was just following a road looking for a neat spot to turn around. Didn't think I'd gone more more than 250 yards. There may have also been a radio link failure at the end but the more I think about it and gain experience the more I think it was a brownout, I was on 440mhz and had a RSSI over 90 the whole way until everything stopped working. Took me forever to find it because I didn't think I was that far away.