Rascal CNC Build - Fidget

Fidget

I'm starting this thread for my Rascal CNC build, partly to share the adventure, and partly as an organizer for myself. That way I can clutter my own thread with my thoughts, rather than the original one. :geek:
I plan to edit the first few posts periodically, using them more as a web page than as forum posts.
I have a week of "stay-cation" so I've been trying to build it this week, but of course running into issues of my own creation.

Last edited:

Fidget

Supplies and Parts:
I saved a copy of the parts list last year and started ordering things. I ordered the "long shipping time" items first. Then waited for Open Builds to run a sale on shipping. (I forget if I got free shipping, or just reduced, but they do run sales periodically.) I waited to order the Amazon stuff until last, since their shipping dates are more reliable and I could order at the last minute.

I ended up buying my stepper motors through Amazon. Shipping from StepperOnline was kind of expensive, since the motors are heavy. The prices on Amazon were higher, but with Amazon Prime the shipping was free. The cost ended up within $1, but the shipping was quick, and they are still StepperOnline brand.

The final straw was being able to order the wood short kit from @TB RC this summer. I messaged him through the forum after he posted in the other thread. He did a great job with them and the price was very fair.

Last edited:

Fidget

Videos and other things I've learned from

Contacted @nerdnic through his website to get the Rascal build video

This guy had several good ideas

Setting the stepper motor driver current limit

Wiring a Arduino CNC Shield

DRV8825 Stepper Driver Setup

Last edited:

Fidget

First lesson, just because someone on YouTube can do it doesn't mean you'll be successful the first time.

When I bought the MDF for the base, I got it cut to 42"x42" as in the instructions. I had them cut the other piece to 43"x54" to put under it. My plan is to leave 1/2" around the outside so that I can sit a box-like dust cover over it since it's in my garage. Then I'll mount the electronics in a box on the part that stick out in the 54" dimension.

I got these furniture nuts, and put them in the bottom part, planning to use these screws from above. I drilled the holes with both boards clamped together before I painted. But then, they aren't really lined up now. It just occurred to me (6:45AM the next morning) that I rotated the top between those steps, which is probably the problem. Now all I need to do is unstick all of the screws that are half in and figure out what the correct rotation was. I woke up at 4am and couldn't stop being frustrated by this, so when my wife wakes up I'll go out to the garage and wail on the thing. Then order more screws since I stripped a few and had ordered only the exact number I needed. :eek:
1568198445176.png

Corbarrad

I drilled the holes with both boards clamped together before I painted. But then, they aren't really lined up now. It just occurred to me (6:45AM the next morning) that I rotated the top between those steps, which is probably the problem.
Ouch. I hope your paint job will still line up after you turn the plates to accommodate your holes...
I always order more screws than I need, just in case, then forget about where I stored them when the need arises, so I order even more. There's a history of hoarding in my family and I think I'm afflicted, too...