Rascal CNC

josh yoder

I just got my sidewinder cnc running, and have started converting flite test designs to g-code. Something that really excites me is the ability to mill 3d shapes from thick foam. I don't know how to design 3d objects, but I guess I'll have to learn. I'm hoping others will design things and share the files here. How about a B-17 that uses the gremlin motors?

Basscor

Is there a repository of the CNC friendly plane plans some where? They were talking about them in the Podcast, and that would be awesome to get a hold of

FatPanda

Hows it going? Still on target for Nov. 1st? I don't have all the sheckels I need, but I think this is going to be my winter project!!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The Rascal CNC Parts list is now live. See post #2 in this thread for a link to the Google Sheet.

Duggem

Live like no one else...
Errata?

Hi all,

I found a few differences in part numbers and some of the Total needed vs QTY numbers were unclear. I used the Total needed number to order.

Price / unit also varied from the list but not enough to warrant updating the spreadsheet.

Button Socket Head Screws A2 SS - M3 x .5 x 14M (FT)
PN Listed: 5400050-4
PN Actual: 5400050-2

Button Socket Head Screws A2 SS - M3 x .5 x 25M (FT)
PN Listed: 5400074
PN Actual: 5400072

Flat Washers A2 SS - M3 (3.2M ID x 7.0M OD x 0.5M Thick)
PN Listed: 5620024
PN Actual: 5620022

Flat Washers 304 SS - 1/4" (.281 ID x 5/8 OD x .050 Thick)
PN Listed: 1000-105144
PN Actual: 1000-105142

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hi all,

I found a few differences in part numbers and some of the Total needed vs QTY numbers were unclear. I used the Total needed number to order.

Price / unit also varied from the list but not enough to warrant updating the spreadsheet.

Button Socket Head Screws A2 SS - M3 x .5 x 14M (FT)
PN Listed: 5400050-4
PN Actual: 5400050-2

Button Socket Head Screws A2 SS - M3 x .5 x 25M (FT)
PN Listed: 5400074
PN Actual: 5400072

Flat Washers A2 SS - M3 (3.2M ID x 7.0M OD x 0.5M Thick)
PN Listed: 5620024
PN Actual: 5620022

Flat Washers 304 SS - 1/4" (.281 ID x 5/8 OD x .050 Thick)
PN Listed: 1000-105144
PN Actual: 1000-105142

Thanks for finding these mistakes, I updated the spreadsheet just now!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
As Dan mentioned we have released the parts list at this point. We are still working on:

- DXF file of the shortkit
- Build video(s)
- Rascal plans repository for foam planes
- Other guided content

For now if you are wanting to get started your first step should be to order all the parts from the parts list. Many of the items will take a month or so to show up as they ship on the slow boat from China. We are trying to get the rest of the content out before all your parts show up in the mail :)

I'd just like to take a moment to dedicate the Rascal CNC build to, and in honor of Michael "Crash" Hancock.

He was in my eyes, the father of CNC for the RC community. Without his podcast and efforts a lot of us would of never thought about getting into CNC, not to mention building home brewed machines.

If by some miracle you can read this from the great air field in the sky. Well played my friend, well played! Rest in peace Crash, you will always be my friend and hero.

It is in the spirit of "Crash" that we release these files and videos and give the Rascal design, in the most sincere form of love for the community.

Good luck on your builds. As always we are happy to answer question.

Kevin

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
A Tribute

I'd just like to take a moment to dedicate the Rascal CNC build to, and in honor of Michael "Crash" Hancock.

He was in my eyes, the father of CNC for the RC community. Without his podcast and efforts a lot of us would of never thought about getting into CNC, not to mention building home brewed machines.

If by some miracle you can read this from the great air field in the sky. Well played my friend, well played! Rest in peace Crash, you will always be my friend and hero.

It is in the spirit of "Crash" that we release these files and videos and give the Rascal design, in the most sincere form of love for the community.

Good luck on your builds. As always we are happy to answer question.

Kevin

Kevin,
There is nothing so valuable on this planet as human life and among those there are some that strike a special chord in our lives. We are blessed through them.

Regretfully I never met the man. I've listened to a podcast and through it found that at the last FliteFest he was worshipping there on Sunday with me and the many others in the build tent that was overflowing. I regret having been so close and yet not meeting a person so well regarded. I do look forward to meeting him in glory though.

I am very pleased to see this tribute to him, a very decent way to honor him.
—Jim

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Added a link to the Wood Parts DXF file to the second post. If you have the means to cut your own short kit, all the files to do so are included in the zip file. More details to follow.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Here's a look at an actual short kit (well, 2 kits actually) that Kevin cut and shipped to me. They turned out great. The parts will require a little bit of sanding when you get them.

Wood Parts v1.0_sm.jpg

Also added this image to the first and second posts in this thread as well.

Knot good

Couple quick questions:
If the IPM is slowed down with the Rascal cut 3/4 furniture grade ply?
What is the other "recommended" materials besides foam?
What program is recommended for making the files to custom things? I have some experience with 3D printing, but this is all new to me and appears to be significantly different than 3D printing as far as software, and file creation. Thanks. Already started ordering parts, and on the "list" for the wooden short kit.

Txtom55

Dipped my feet into the pool, now have to keep buying the parts a few at a time until all are bought. My goal is less than a year!