Rascal CNC

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Kevin just moved across the country. He’s getting his shop setup here pretty soon and should be able to make your kit. I sent him a message to make sure he saw your note.

shQQtem

would like short kit

Kevin just moved across the country. He’s getting his shop setup here pretty soon and should be able to make your kit. I sent him a message to make sure he saw your note.

Hey nerdnic has Kevin been able to produce any short kits? I haven't been able to find out. Would like to purchase one.

Thanks for any help!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Wanted to give you guys an update. I have been filming the build video for the last few weeks and it’s nearly done.

5C60ADEB-B300-489F-8DA1-FC305C821AEC.jpeg

B14B2902-9A6C-445D-927A-220C99D0781E.jpeg

66E911A2-1A17-4A62-BF53-E99BDA9889B6.jpeg

While I edit down the footage I’ve also been creating a text based build guide. You can find the work in progress here:

https://www.nerdnic.com/content/rascal-cnc-build-guide

Just ran across this thread and getting ready to start ordering parts. Instead of ordering 3 1000mm rails, would he design be ok with all 1500mm rails? Are there any other parts that would need to be changed if I do this? I like the idea of having about a 48" wide cutting area, and if I make it open ended I can have any length. I would like to cut some of the 4x8 sheets of foam from Lowes or Home Depot to get some larger planes.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
If you’re only cutting foam, yes you can use 1500s. You’ll need to buy another belt, or 2? And longer drag chains. Otherwise the rest of the parts lists still works.

Keep us posted!

sheppard

I'm bummed I missed the podcast, was tied up with life stuff. It's great seeing all the community excitement around the Rascal. We can't wait to release it and see what you guys do with it!

finnen

Has anyone ordered the short kit to Europe? I'm strongly considering clearing some space in my rather small storage room to get this in :) just not sure how if the shipping of the wood parts would kill my budget.

TB RC

Hi everyone,
I am very new to the forms. I saw the Rascal CNC and am interested in building one. I was wondering if the stock spindle and steppers would have enough power to easily cut 3/8in HDPE with a 1/4in bit or other thicker milling jobs? I would also be using it to cut foamboard so I am looking for something that can do both. If the stock components would not work well, could I use a Bosch or Dewalt router instead? Would I need to upgrade the steppers as well for the extra weight and cutting thickness?
Thanks for any input you can give me.

b-29er

Hi everyone,
I am very new to the forms. I saw the Rascal CNC and am interested in building one. I was wondering if the stock spindle and steppers would have enough power to easily cut 3/8in HDPE with a 1/4in bit or other thicker milling jobs? I would also be using it to cut foamboard so I am looking for something that can do both. If the stock components would not work well, could I use a Bosch or Dewalt router instead? Would I need to upgrade the steppers as well for the extra weight and cutting thickness?
Thanks for any input you can give me.
I don't own one of these (looks neat though) but i do run a Shapeoko 3 XXL with a Dewalt 611 router. To answer your question, it depends on what your definition of "easily cut" is, and what your goal. This is a slower spindle than your average router, my Dewalt peaks around 24000 max and the Bosch 1716 i just got does about the same, but it has torque behind it so you should be able to spin a 3 or 4 flute 1/4", i'd just be conservative on your speeds. If you're doing pocketing operations (cutting a large depression) then this is good. If you are not, and either doing details or simple cutouts i'd probably just recommend getting some 1/8" bits and collets, which this will also handle. If you're trying to pay off the machine and want speed for rough cuts, i'd recommend going with a Dewalt, as the higher rpms and lower torque let it excel with an 1/8" bit. That and replacement parts are a short drive away if you fry something.

Steppers should be fine, the Shapeoko 3 runs Nema 23s with a beefier frame, and upgraded nema 23s are pretty handy.

Is this project dead? Has anyone actually built and used this for cutting foam board? Seems like a great idea, but I can't find a lot of details. The build guide I saw seems incomplete.
Thanks!